Chicken Parmesan Casserole is a quick weeknight meal that is ready to bake in ten minutes with mozzarella, Parmesan, tomato sauce and a crouton crunch topping for the perfect Chicken Parmesan flavor!
CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE
Chicken Parmesan Casserole is a casserole dish that the whole family will love. While croutons might seem like an unusual addition to a casserole, they add crunch and texture that really brings the whole dish together. This quick, easy casserole is a perfect Weeknight Dinner, with all the great flavors of Chicken Parmesan and half the work.
Using the croutons in this otherwise pretty simple chicken, marinara and cheese bake is like magic. Half the croutons get this warm soft garlic bread texture (from touching the cheese and sitting amongst the sauce) and the other half stay crispy and buttery providing a flavor similar to a breading even though this dish doesn’t require you to bread your chicken.
For a ten minute prep? No egg washes, no dredging and crumbs and the flavors are great.
MORE GREAT CASSEROLE DINNERS
And if you want, you can double or triple this and bake it off in foil pans. We love making it in larger quantities and adding extra veggies to the side. Freezer meals for the win.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE
- Brown chicken breasts before putting them into the pan. It takes just a few minutes on the stove top with a bit of olive oil but the flavor it adds is very important.
- Make your own Marinara Sauce, and the fresh flavors will really make your dish a hit.
- Use high quality croutons, they taste fantastic and hold on to a little bit of moisture better than regular store croutons don’t which makes for a better topping on the casserole.
Tools Used in the making of this Chicken Parmesan Casserole:
9×13 Baking Pan: This metal baking pan with a curved bottom which helps in removing the pieces of chicken a lot easier than straight edge pans.
Croutons: These croutons are natural and have a bit of a chew still in the center which makes a for a delicious addition to this meal.
Marinara Sauce: If you don’t use homemade I highly recommend Newman’s Own Organic Marinara Sauce, it isn’t very expensive and the flavor isn’t “bottled” for lack of a better word. Add in a few fresh herbs and you’ll have a delicious meal.
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE
- Serve: This casserole can be out at room temperature for up to 2 hours before you will need to refrigerate it.
- Store: Chicken Parmesan Casserole will stay good for up to four days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Cool completely and transfer to a sealed, freezer safe container. The casserole will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months. Before serving from frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge, then pop in the oven until heated through.
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Main
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken breasts , boneless, skinless
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 cups Marinara Sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese , divided
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese , divided
- 2 cups croutons , garlic and butter flavor
- parsley , optional, for garnish
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet heat the olive oil on medium high heat and brown the chicken on both sides for 3-5 minutes on each side.
Add the chicken to the baking dish and pour over any juices from the pan.
Add the chili flakes and the marinara sauce over each piece of chicken.
Add 1 cup of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the chicken.
Add the croutons on top then finally top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Garnish with parsley, optional. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 , Amount per serving: 617 calories, Calories: 617g, Carbohydrates: 16g, Protein: 76g, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 198mg, Sodium: 1608mg, Potassium: 917mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 1105g, Vitamin C: 8.6g, Calcium: 633g, Iron: 3.9g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.