Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole is a fun, easy kid friendly dinner. Cheesy burger filling with Big Mac special sauce topped with cheddar cheese and crispy tots!
BIG MAC TATER TOT CASSEROLE
Thanks to a generous serving of our spot on Big Mac Special Sauce, every bite of this tasty casserole is like eating a Big Mac and fries all at once! If you don’t already keep a cup or two on hand, our Special Sauce can be made in just minutes to for this easy casserole.
This quick and delicious Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole is one that the whole family will go crazy for and you will love too! It has all the flavor of a junk food feast without any of the preservatives and it’s much more budget friendly. Serve your cheeseburger casserole with favorite burger toppings, like tomato and pickles, and a drizzle of extra Big Mac Sauce!
What to serve with this casserole?
Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole makes an easy weeknight meal with kid friendly veggie sides like Roasted Broccoli. Go big McDonald’s cheeseburger flavor and serve along with Big Mac Salad. For more Big Mac inspired meals, you gotta try our Big Mac and Cheese, Big Mac Sloppy Joes, and Cheeseburger Casserole!
Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole is a great freezer friendly dinner to make ahead of time! You can either double the recipe by using the slider tool in the recipe card, or divide into 2 8×8 foil pans. An 8×8 pan of Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole will feed about 4-5 people. Your casserole can be baked from frozen and is perfect for busy weeknights, dropping off to a friend in need, or as a babysitter dinner.
MORE EASY CHEESEBURGER RECIPES
Make Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole Ahead of Time
This is a great dish for meal prep, just follow the easy make ahead directions:
- Prepare the cheeseburger filling as usual in a 9×13 baking dish or divide evenly between 2 smaller (8×8) aluminum foil baking pans.
- Cover beef mixture with cheese and frozen tater tots.
- Wrap pan tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, before freezing up to 3 months.
- Remove plastic wrap and foil before baking Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole from frozen for 50-60 minutes.
MORE HAMBURGER RECIPES
VARIATIONS ON BIG MAC TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- Bacon: Bacon makes everything better! Add 6-8 slices cooked, crumbled bacon to the cooked beef mixture or mix in 2-3 tablespoons bacon bits.
- Meat: Use any ground meat instead of ground beef like ground turkey, ground sausage, or ground chicken. If using a leaner ground meat, add a tablespoon oil to the skillet when browning.
- Big Mac Sauce: The copycat Big Mac Sauce is where it’s at but you can use Thousand Island in a pinch. Add a tablespoon of sweet pickle relish and an extra bit of ketchup to get the dressing closer to the special sauce flavor.
- Potatoes: You can swap the frozen tots for frozen french fries, sweet potato puffs, hash brown rounds, shredded hash browns, or diced potatoes. If you use thawed potatoes, just reduce the cooking time by 15-20 minutes.
Slow Cooker Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole
- Brown ground beef and onions in a skillet until no longer pink and onions are soft.
- Drain grease and transfer beef mixture to a slow cooker.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except half the shredded cheese and frozen tater tots.
- Layer reserved shredded cheese and tater tots over cheeseburger filling.
- Cover top of crockpot with a paper towels or thin kitchen towel to absorb moisture.
- Secure slow cooker lid and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or high for 2-3 hours.
MORE FUN FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BIG MAC TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- Serve: Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole is best served hot and fresh for the crispiest tots. Keep at room temperature for up to 2 hours before storing.
- Store: Transfer Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole to an airtight container, or cover with foil, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven to crisp the tots back up.
- Freeze: For best results, freeze Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole in a baking dish, covered tightly with plastic wrap and foil, for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen or thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Big Mac Tater Tot Casserole
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2 pounds ground beef , 85/15
- 1 cup Big Mac Sauce , recipe
- 1 cup onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices American cheese , chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 32 ounce frozen tater tots
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce , shredded
- 1/2 cup tomatoes , diced
- 2-3 slices American cheese , diced into small pieces
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until browned and onions are translucent.
- Add the Big Mac Sauce, American cheese, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and mix well.
In a 9x13 pan layer the beef, then the remaining cheese and finally line up the tater tots before baking for 45 minutes uncovered.
- Top with diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and American cheese to serve.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 710 calories, Calories: 710g, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 32g, Fat: 49g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 121mg, Sodium: 1562mg, Potassium: 786mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 529g, Vitamin C: 12g, Calcium: 365g, Iron: 4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.