This McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce Copycat is easy to make with ingredients from your pantry. Almost better than the original top-secret fast food burger spread!
McDONALD’S BIG MAC SAUCE
Is there fast food more iconic around the world that a Big Mac? Two all beef patties, shredded lettuce, onions, tomato, the sesame bun… Oh, and of course that creamy sweet and tangy sauce unlike any other!
Even before they released the ingredient list in 2012, many attempts have been made to recreate this top secret sauce. McDonald’s didn’t give the amounts of each ingredient of course, so there’s been lots of testing to get it just right. And after many trials, we got it down!
You may be wondering if Big Mac Sauce is just Thousand Island dressing with a fancy name. While they are similar, Thousand Island has some warmer spices and this sauce has a lot more sweet pickle relish. Make sure not to get the dill pickle relish when making this sauce or it will be much more tangy!
There’s some debate on whether ketchup and french dressing should be used in Big Mac Sauce, they give it the most spot on taste, coloring, and balance of flavors. Plus they cut down on what you need to make this special sauce. While they aren’t listed in the official ingredients, they make this sauce the best copycat recipe.
You can make this sauce with any store-bought creamy french dressing, no need to use a fancy brand. We’ve tried Wishbone and Kraft brands and both worked well, plus these are relatively inexpensive brands that go on sale often so you can stock for whenever drive-thru craving hits.
The only thing better than making Big Mac Copycat Sauce at home is making a homemade Big Mac! To make a Big Mac taste spot on you’ll need some particular ingredients, so we have included a guide in this post for the best replica for a Big Mac.
Typically we offer variations on sauces, but this Big Mac Sauce Copycat is perfect the way it is. Instead, take a look at some of the other ways we love to serve this sauce below. Be on the look out for more delicious recipes using this special sauce, including Pasta Salad and Mac and Cheese!
DELICIOUS EASY CHEESEBURGER RECIPES
WAYS TO SERVE BIG MAC SAUCE
- Cheeseburger Casserole: The only thing our Big Mac-inspired Cheeseburger Casserole is missing is a drizzle of secret sauce!
- Chicken Strips: If you were addicted to dipping nuggets in the limited time only Signature Sauce, dip Chicken Tenders in this Big Mac Sauce instead!
- Bacon Cheeseburger Cups: Chicken and french fries aren’t the only things you can dip in this condiment. Serve Bacon Cheeseburger Cups with a side of secret sauce with for a crowd-pleasing appetizer.
- Cheeseburger Salad: Make a deconstructed Big Mac as a salad, just hold the sesame bun! Add a little more French dressing or vinegar if you like a thinner dressing.
Homemade McDonald’s Big Mac
Make your own Big Macs at home and skip the drive-thru! This Big Mac guide makes 4 servings.
- All-Beef Patties: Use 1 1/2 pound leans ground beef seasoned with salt and pepper formed into 8 thin patties.
- Buns: You want sesame seed buns, and you will need 4 top buns and 8 bottom buns. The middle “bottom bun” is there to catch all the sauce.
- Lettuce: Use finely shredded iceberg lettuce for authenticity and the best crunch.
- Onion: Minced white onions are what McDonald’s uses. Mincing cuts down on their sharpness.
- Cheese: Use 4 processed American cheese slices for a true Big Mac, or if you like extra you can double the cheese.
- Pickles: You want dill pickle slices for the burger and sweet pickle relish for the sauce.
- Assemble: Bottom bun, Big Mac Sauce, onion, shredded lettuce, cheese, patty, bottom bun, sauce, onion, lettuce, pickle, patty, and top bun. Enjoy!
POPULAR COPYCAT RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE BIG MAC SAUCE
- Serve: Make sure to let this sauce refrigerate and meld together for at least an hour, but it’s best served the next day. Don’t keep at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: You can refrigerate the Big Mac Sauce in an airtight container, like a sealed glass jar, for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: Since this is a mayonnaise-based sauce, you don’t want to store it in the freezer. It is made so easily from pantry ingredients, just make it the day before.
McDonald's Secret Big Mac Sauce
- Yield: 16 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Course: Sauce
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup creamy French dressing , Kraft or Wishbone work great
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours before using for best (and most authentic) taste.
Yield: 16 servings, Amount per serving: 55 calories, Calories: 55g, Carbohydrates: 3g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 2mg, Sodium: 179mg, Potassium: 10mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 56g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 2g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.