Grilled Chicken Sandwiches are the perfect dish to serve at a Summer BBQ, made with tender, seasoned chicken, crispy bacon, lettuce, and tomato.
It’s hard to think of anything more suited to summer than a delicious, grilled Sandwich Recipe. Serve your Grilled Chicken Sandwich with your favorite cookout sides like Coleslaw, Potato Salad, and Grilled Corn.
GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICH
This is a great recipe for a simple dinner or delicious lunch. The chicken breast is flavored with mustard and vinegar for an extra juicy sandwich. Then it’s topped off with crispy bacon and veggies like lettuce, onion, and tomato. They’re all served in soft, lightly toasted sandwich bread. It’s a great comfort food dish, packed with flavor and so easy to make.
Chicken and bacon are a classic combination, just like in our Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches. This recipe has that same tasty duo, but the other ingredients are lighter, so it’s an easier and more refreshing meal.
You can make the grilled chicken inside in a pan, or if you’re having a BBQ use your grill to cook them. If you’re serving the sandwiches for a cookout, slice the veggies ahead of time. Lay the bread, cooked bacon, and vegetables out on a plate before you go outside. That way all you have to do is cook the chicken and assemble things.
MORE SANDWICH RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT CHICKEN SANDWICH
- Prep chicken: To get the chicken breast ready for the recipe, slice the two breasts horizontally on one side. Make the cut deep enough that the knife almost reaches the other side, then you can split it in half. Put the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and mustard in a bowl. Toss the chicken in the mixture.
- Bacon: Cook bacon on a large skillet at medium-high heat. It should take 4-5 minutes to get the bacon perfectly chewy and crispy. Drain most of the bacon fat, but leave about 1 tablespoon behind for the chicken to cook in.
- Grill chicken: Add the chicken to the pan, or heat your grill if you’re cooking it on the outside grill. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. To make sure the chicken is done, check that the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees.
- Assemble: Lightly toast your sandwich bread, and then spread mayonnaise and mustard on each slice. Layer the lettuce, chicken, sliced tomato, onion, and 2 slices of bacon on each sandwich. Put the top slice of bread on and press down gently to finish.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICHES
- Seasonings: You can add a variety of seasonings to your chicken like garlic powder, paprika, oregano, cilantro, and cumin. Experiment with the flavors and see what you like best!
- Bacon: If you want to use slightly leaner meat, you can always try turkey bacon instead of pork.
- Bread: Really any kind of bread or bun could work nicely in this recipe. Try using hamburger buns, sesame seed buns, whole wheat bread, sourdough, or brioche.
- Cheese: Try adding a slice of cheese to the chicken sandwich. Cheddar cheese, provolone, Swiss, mozzarella, or Pepper Jack would all taste great.
- Marinade: For extra juicy chicken, try leaving the chicken breasts in a marinade overnight.
- Condiments: You can try any of your favorite condiments in the sandwich such as ranch, hot sauce, BBQ Sauce, relish, or ketchup.
MORE FUN CHICKEN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICHES
- Serve: You shouldn’t leave Grilled Chicken at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: If you wrap any leftover sandwiches in plastic wrap, you can keep them in the fridge for a day. However, if you just want to store the chicken separate from the bread and sandwich filling, it will stay good for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can seal and freeze the chicken for up to 3 months.
- 2 chicken breasts , boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 8 slices thick sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 vine tomatoes , sliced
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1/2 red onion , thinly sliced
- Butterfly the chicken breasts into 4 pieces.
- Add to a medium bowl with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and ground mustard and toss well.
- Cook bacon in batches in a large skillet on medium-high until chewy and crispy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Drain all but one tablespoon of the bacon fat and raise heat to medium-high.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through to 165 degrees.
- Toast sandwich bread.
- Spread mayonnaise and whole grain mustard on one side of all the bread slices.
- Layer with lettuce, chicken, sliced tomatoes, onion, and 2 slices of bacon.
- Top with the second slice of toasted bread. Press down gently and serve.