Chocolate Yogurt Cake is a tasty light, fluffy cake recipe. Incredibly moist rich chocolate cake with dark cocoa powder, greek yogurt, and chocolate chips!
Who doesn’t love easy, popular desserts like Chocolate Cake for special occasions, birthday parties, and weeknight cravings? This single layer Cake Recipe is ready in about an hour and doesn’t need a mixer!
CHOCOLATE YOGURT CAKE
Rich chocolate flavor and a moist crumb are a must have in the best chocolate cake recipes! Traditionally to get a moist, fluffy cake you need a stand mixer and a lot of butter. This chocolate cake recipe replaces the butter with a thick, creamy whole milk greek yogurt for a lighter cake that you can make by hand.
While Chocolate Yogurt Cake has slightly less calories than a regular cake, this isn’t a health food! It is rich and decadent, full of indulgent chocolate flavor in every bite. With added chocolate chips, you get sweet bursts of chocolatey goodness any chocolate lover will adore.
This Chocolate Yogurt Cake recipe uses dark cocoa powder that gives it a darker color and balances nicely with the tart Greek yogurt. Dark cocoa powder, also known as Dutch-process cocoa powder, isn’t as bitter as regular (natural) cocoa powder. Don’t swap regular cocoa powder in this recipe or your cake won’t rise.
This sweet Chocolate Yogurt Cake recipe can be served for breakfast or brunch as a rich, decadent coffee cake. For layered birthday cake, double the recipe and bake in two pans. Frost the cake when cooled with Buttercream Frosting or Dark Chocolate Frosting. For a simple weeknight dessert, a warm slice of this rich chocolate cake is delicious with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.
Tips for Making Chocolate Yogurt Cake
- Use a whole milk greek yogurt for Chocolate Yogurt Cake. There is less oil and no butter in this cake so you want the extra fat to make your cake super moist.
- This cake is made without a stand mixer or hand beaters, so be sure to use a whisk so it creates enough air to make your cake fluffy.
- As with all cakes, you don’t want to over mix your Chocolate Yogurt Cake. Whisk until the flour is just combined and fold in your chocolate chips gently.
MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES:
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHOCOLATE YOGURT CAKE
- Yogurt: You can use any whole milk yogurt for this cake if you don’t like greek yogurt. Try flavored yogurt like chocolate, coffee, or vanilla yogurt too!
- Chocolate Chips: Swap out the semi-sweet chocolate chips for dark chocolate chips or white chocolate chips, or use a mixture of what you have on hand. Use ½ cup baking chips like caramel chips or toffee chips for even more sweetness.
- Nuts: Give your Chocolate Yogurt Cake some crunch by folding in ½ cup toasted pecans, almonds, walnuts or peanuts to the cake batter.
- Applesauce: To make this a healthier Chocolate Yogurt Cake, use ½ cup applesauce for the vegetable oil in the wet ingredients.
- Chocolate Yogurt Cupcakes: Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners. Fill muffin cups up ¾ full and bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes.
- Chocolate Yogurt Bundt Cake: Grease a bundt pan with cooking spray before adding your cake batter. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow cake to cool completely before inverting on a plate and serving.
Chocolate Yogurt Marble Cake
- Prepare wet ingredients as normal. Sift all the dry ingredients together except cocoa powder.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients like normal, then divide cake batter in half.
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter in microwave and whisk cocoa powder into butter.
- Fold chocolate-mixture into half of the cake batter until just combined.
- Add ½ chocolate chips to chocolate batter and pour chocolate cake batter into prepared pan.
- Top with spoonfuls of vanilla cake batter and gently swirl with a knife to make marble pattern.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top and bake as usual.
EASY, CLASSIC CAKES FOR ANY OCCASION
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE YOGURT CAKE
- Serve: You can keep this Chocolate Yogurt Cake at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it needs to be stored.
- Store: Cover your cake tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature, about 30 minutes, before serving.
- Freeze: Cool cake completely, cover tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove plastic wrap and defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt , full fat
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a springform pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together yogurt, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and sugar then add to the wet ingredients.
- Stir until just combined.
- Fold in half the chocolate chips and pour batter into your springform pan.
- Top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.