Cincinnati Chili made with the authentic Skyline Chili recipe served over spaghetti with onions and shredded cheddar cheese!
Classic copycat recipes are some of my favorite to cook in the kitchen. With this recipe we love the chili and pasta mashup!
Cincinnati Chili recipe
I was in Cincinnati this year for work and as I do with every trip I made sure to go enjoy the dish the place is famous for. This recipe was one I thought I was going to be trying for the sake of saying I’d eaten it.
Shocker, it was GOOD. Like immediately jot down that I need to go home and make this good.
Now, I won’t pretend to understand the city’s heart and soul that goes into this recipe because I am in fact a Californian, but I will tell you that armed with the actual recipe I am happy to recreate it here for you.
When I found the actual recipe it made a lot of sense to me but I was still surprised at the addition of unsweetened chocolate to the recipe. I have made many savory recipes with this ingredient but in general I don’t see it in a lot of recipes used by companies as the ingredient is more expensive than most use.
Like this recipe? Then Like us on Facebook!
This recipe doesn’t cut any ingredient corners though, or flavor ones for that matter. This may be my new favorite chili! Even more than the Wendy’s Chili I have grown to love and make non-stop in the winter months.
Serve up this Cincinnati Chili over spaghetti with raw onions, cheddar cheese and even add oyster crackers to the mix for the ultimate in experiencing what Cincinnati Chili has to offer!
Plus the chili isn’t just served on noodles. They also top hot dogs with the chili and it’s a great way to enjoy the city. Cincinnati Chili Dogs (or The Cincinnati Cheese Coney) is a popular option for those who want to enjoy a handheld meal with the famous chili.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
How To Order Cincinnati Chili!
If you’re local and stop by to buy your chili you need to learn the ordering system just like you have to at Pat’s Cheese Steaks. So let’s learn the ropes:
- Two Way: Chili topped on Spaghetti
- Three Way: Cheese and Chili on Spaghetti
- Four Way: Cheese, Onions, Chili and Spaghetti
- Four Way Bean: Cheese, Beans, Chili and Spaghetti
- Five Way: Cheese, Onions, Chili, Beans and Spaghetti
Looking for more chili recipes?
- 2 pounds lean ground beef , 85/15
- 2 yellow onions , finely chopped
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound spaghetti cooked
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Add the ground beef to a skillet on medium high heat, cooking and breaking it apart until browned.
- Add in the onions, tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, chocolate, chili powder, salt, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, cloves, allspice berries, and bay leaf and mix together well.
- Lowe the heat to a simmer and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, adding water if it gets too dry.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti with onions and cheddar cheese.