Cuban Mojo Pot Roast is a fresh take on a hearty dinner. Chuck roast slow cooked in a zesty garlicky citrus sauce until tender with potatoes and carrots.
CUBAN MOJO POT ROAST
This delicious pot roast recipe is full of refreshing Caribbean flavor with a homemade Cuban Mojo sauce. The citrusy, garlicky, herb marinade is perfect for summer time and makes the beef so tender. With potatoes and carrots cooked with the chuck roast, this is an easy one-pot meal, great for busy weeknights or Sunday dinner!
Cuban Mojo Pot Roast is all about the herby garlic Mojo sauce that you can find all over the Caribbean, Florida, and the Canary Islands. While there are so many variations, the base of the sauce is fresh citrus, garlic, and olive oil or meat fat. This recipe uses canola oil and the rendered beef fat in place of olive oil to bring the whole dish together.
Traditionally a Mojo sauce is made with bitter orange, or sour orange, but they can be hard to find pretty much anywhere in the US outside of Florida. Instead, this recipe for Cuban Mojo Pot Roast substitutes a mixture of orange juice and lime juice so that you can make it no matter where you live. You can also use other citrus like grapefruit or lemon juice, depending on your taste.
The sauce for this Cuban Mojo Pot Roast is mild and tangy, making it a great family friendly dinner recipe. If you want to add heat, you can increase the pepper flakes or add fresh chili peppers. If you prefer a Red Mojo Sauce, there is a recipe for it in the variations. Both types of sauce will taste amazing on Cuban Mojo Pot Roast!
This Cuban Mojo Pot Roast is a complete meal on its own. The only thing missing is some Dinner Rolls on the side so you don’t miss a drop of delicious sauce! You can make the meat on its own and serve with Black Beans and Rice for a more latin meal. For a low carb dinner, skip the potatoes and serve with a side of Roasted Broccoli or Crispy Cauliflower instead.
DELICIOUS SIDE DISH RECIPES FOR CUBAN MOJO PORK
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CUBAN MOJO POT ROAST
- Meat: Mojo sauce can be used any cut of meat. Try this pot roast recipe with whole chicken pieces, pork shoulder or pork butt, or with beef stew meat. Cooking times will vary so be sure to check internal temperature per the FDA Guidelines.
- Potatoes: You can use sweet potatoes, red potatoes, or russet potatoes instead of Yukon gold. For a Cuban style side, add frozen yucca or fresh peeled yucca halfway through cooking.
- Seasonings: You can add grapefruit juice or lemon juice, cilantro, dried basil, parsley, mint, or onions to change the Mojo marinade flavor. For a spicer sauce, add diced jalapeño or Serrano peppers.
- Red Mojo Sauce: In a food processor combine 2 chopped red bell peppers (no seeds), 4 cloves garlic, 1 bunch cilantro, 1 tablespoon each cumin and paprika, 1 dried red chili (no seeds), and teaspoon salt. Blend into a paste and then slowly add 1 cup olive oil and beef broth before adding to the pot.
Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pot Roast
- Prepare the Mojo sauce per the recipe card. Add to slow cooker with beef broth and bay leaves.
- Sear the seasoned beef in a skillet with the oil, 4-5 minutes per side. You can also use slow cooker if it has ability to sear.
- Place beef in slow cooker and roll in sauce to coat.
- Add potatoes and carrots to slow cooker.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, until beef is fork tender.
Instant Pot Cuban Mojo Pot Roast
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté function and add oil.
- Once shimmering and hot, sear beef on both sides 3-4 minutes. Remove meat and set aside.
- Deglaze Instant Pot with beef broth, scraping off all browned bits from sides and bottom.
- Add the Mojo sauce ingredients to the beef broth and whisk to combine.
- Return the beef to the Instant Pot and add potatoes and carrots. Stir a few times.
- Secure lid and seal valve. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 45 minutes. Release pressure naturally.
MORE POT ROAST RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE CUBAN MOJO POT ROAST
- Serve: You can keep Cuban Mojo Pot Roast at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Cool before storing in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Store: Place cooled Cuban Mojo Pot Roast in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Use the oven or stove top on low heat to reheat for best taste.
- Freeze: Once meat has cooled, transfer Cuban Mojo Pot Roast to a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating pot roast in the oven or on the stove top.
- 3 pound beef chuck roast , boneless
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound carrots , peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 cups beef broth
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk together orange juice, lime juice, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic until combined. Set aside.
- Season the chuck roast with the Kosher salt, and pepper.
- Add the canola oil to a pan and heat. When it ripples and is hot add in the roast and brown, deeply, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Add carrots, potatoes, orange juice mixture, bay leaves, and beef broth and cook for 3 - 3 ½ hours.
- If you want a thicker sauce, 30 minutes before it is done skim the fat off the top, add a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water) to the pot and cook for remaining 30 minutes.