Dark Chocolate Orange Shortbread Bars are wonderfully buttery and slightly crunchy with orange marmalade filling and dark chocolate topping.
This is the perfect unique Bar Recipe with a combination of sweet, citrusy, and bitter flavors. Simple Buttery Shortbread works as the base for the more intense flavors of dark chocolate and orange for a wonderfully balanced treat.
DARK CHOCOLATE ORANGE SHORTBREAD BARS
Shortbread cookies are an easy and traditional treat to serve especially around the holiday baking season. This recipe adds more complex and delicious flavors to the simple treat with its buttery chocolate and orange combination! The sweet shortbread and easy marmalade filling topped with dark chocolate chunks make this recipe completely unique and absolutely irresistible.
If you’re looking for an easy dessert to wow your guests this holiday season, then you don’t need to look any further. The simple dough and filling are ready for the oven in just a few minutes. Similarly, the chocolate topping can be made in the microwave in just a few seconds. When it all comes together these Dark Chocolate Orange Shortbread Bars are delicious, beautiful, and sure to be a crowd favorite!
For more ways to add some extra goodness to a simple shortbread recipe try out our Cranberry Chip Shortbread Cookies, Candied Shortbread Cookies, and Whipped Shortbread Cookies. They are all easy, delicious twists on the classic cookie. It’s a great way to enjoy a familiar treat while making it a little more special.
MORE AMAZING BAR RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING DARK CHOCOLATE ORANGE SHORTBREAD BARS
- Prep time: To start the recipe, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×10 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cookie dough: To make the shortbread dough, add softened butter and granulated sugar to your stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Then turn the speed to medium for 2-3 minutes until the butter mixture is airy and light. Add in the egg yolks and vanilla extract, and continue mixing the dough until creamy. Then sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until the dough forms into a mixture, but don’t over-mix.
- Assemble: Press half of the shortbread dough into the base of your prepared pan. Spread marmalade over the shortbread, then add the remaining shortbread mixture on top with the dark chocolate chips, and press down gently.
- Baking time: Pop the bars in the oven for 35-40 minutes until they’re a beautiful golden brown.
- Serve: Take them from the oven and let them cool completely so the chocolate is set before you slice them with a sharp knife, and serve.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON DARK CHOCOLATE ORANGE SHORTBREAD BARS
- Chocolate chunks: You can try different kinds of chocolate pieces in the shortbread bars. Try using milk chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate instead of dark. You could also try a combination of dark and white chocolate.
- Chocolate cookie: For some extra chocolate flavor, you can make a double chocolate recipe with chocolate shortbread and chocolate topping. Just add cocoa powder to the regular shortbread dough. Reduce the amount of flour to 1 ½ cup, and add ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder to the mixture.
- Salted caramel chocolate bars: If you love dark chocolate and salted caramel, replace the marmalade filling with Caramel Sauce. Then sprinkle crunchy sea salt over the top of the chocolate.
- Vegan bars: To make this recipe vegan, you’ll need to use replacements for the butter, egg yolk, and chocolate. You can find vegan butter and vegan chocolate chips at the grocery store. To replace the egg yolks try using flax eggs or chia eggs.
MORE ORANGE FLAVORED DESSERTS
HOW TO STORE DARK CHOCOLATE ORANGE SHORTBREAD BARS
- Serve: After giving the Shortbread Bars time to cool, you can slice them into squares and serve. They’ll stay good at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If the area you’re storing them in is humid, put a paper towel down in the base of the container to absorb extra moisture.
- Store: You could also seal the bars, and keep them in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Freeze: To freeze them, put the bars in a Ziploc bag or another airtight container with the layers separated by parchment paper so that they don’t freeze together. They’ll stay good for 3 months.
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x8 baking dish with baking spray.
- To your stand mixer add the butter and sugar and cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in egg yolks and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined.
- Spread about half the mixture into the baking dish and press gently.
- Spread orange marmalade over the mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining shortbread mixture over the orange marmalade and top with dark chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Cool completely before slicing.