Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms is a quick and simple take on a classic French dish. Easy Coq au Vin in less than an hour that is just as delicious!
RED WINE BRAISED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS
No need to spend all day in the kitchen or go out to a fancy restaurant for delicious French cuisine. This delicious tender and juicy chicken dish takes the flavors of traditional Coq au Vin and cuts the cooking time down to only one hour! With simple ingredients and a quick braising method, you’ll have dinner elegant enough for dinner parties and easy enough for busy weeknights.
Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms is a trimmed down, easy Coq au Vin recipe using about half the ingredients. Earthy mushrooms and dark, tangy red wine are the main ingredients, along with quickly seared chicken legs. Since there are few ingredients, be sure that they are all good quality and fresh for the best flavor.
While this Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms recipe is missing some key ingredients in Coq au Vin, like bacon and pearl onions, you can always add them too! This simplified version is made for busy weeknights with common pantry items, but is easily adaptable to get even more French flavors. There are some variations in the post to make this dish more classic.
Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms is best served with sides that will soak up that tasty wine sauce like Crusty French Rolls and Mashed Potatoes. For a vegetable, try easy sides like Roasted Broccoli or Sautéed Green Beans that will be done in the time it takes the chicken to finish. Start your meal with another French classic, French Onion Soup!
Tips for Making Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms
- For the wine, it’s important to use a wine that you enjoy drinking. The quick braising is going to leave a lot of wine flavor, so don’t use a cheaper wine.
- This is a fast cooking dish so make sure to prep your ingredients before hand. You don’t want the chicken to rest too long and lose it’s natural juices while you prep then cook the onions and mushrooms.
- For a thicker sauce, make a beurre maine. Mash 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons flour together until a paste forms, then stir into sauce during last 8-10 minutes of cooking.
MORE DELICIOUS SIDE DISH RECIPES:
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON RED WINE BRAISED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS
- Meat: You can use a whole chicken, cut into pieces, or bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe. The quick braising is also good for pork cutlets or flank steak. Add crispy bacon at the end or cook bacon first and sear chicken in bacon fat.
- Veggies: Make this dish more hearty with vegetables like frozen pearl onions, diced carrots, shallots, or canned tomatoes. You could swap baby bella mushrooms, button mushrooms, or chopped portobello mushrooms.
- Seasonings: Traditional French seasonings you can add to Red Wine Braised Chicken and Mushrooms are thyme, bay leaves, rosemary, or marjoram. Garnish with parsley or fennel sprigs.
- Wine: Use a dry red wine like Pinot Noir, Cabernet, or Bordeaux, or switch to a lighter, dry white wine like Pinot Gris or Sauvignon Blanc.
Slow Cooker Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Sear both sides of seasoned chicken legs, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken legs in slow cooker.
- Add remaining oil to skillet and sauté onions and mushrooms for 3 minutes, stir and cook 3 more minutes.
- Add in garlic, cooking another 30 seconds.
- Transfer onion mixture to the slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or high for 2-3 hours, until chicken is done and falls off the bone.
MORE EASY, CLASSIC MAIN DISH RECIPES
HOW TO STORE RED WINE BRAISED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS
- Serve: Keep Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms at room temperature for no more than 2 hours before storing.
- Store: Store Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms in an air tight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: Cool completely, place Red Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms in a sealed container, and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on low heat or in a low oven.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 6 chicken legs
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper , divided
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms , sliced
- 1/2 large yellow onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups red wine
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a dutch oven on medium heat.
- Season the chicken with half the salt and pepper and sear on both sides, 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from the pan, then add in the remaining olive oil.
- Add in the mushrooms and onions and sear well until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Season with remaining salt and pepper, add in garlic and stir.
- Add in the chicken broth, stir and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the red wine, nestle the chicken back into the pot and cook for 20-25 minutes until sauce is reduced by 75%.