The Best Salmon Burger recipe for summer! Easy salmon patties made with canned salmon, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and fresh dill grilled to a golden brown.
Who doesn’t love enjoying an amazing Burger for a filling, family-friendly Dinner Recipe? Juicy Salmon Burgers are a great way to switch things up from traditional hamburgers and bring in new, refreshing flavors. This fish burger alternative is also a lot healthier than your typical burger.
Using simple ingredients like canned salmon, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and breadcrumbs it’s easy to form homemade salmon patties. After the couple minutes of prep time, all you have to do is cook each tender patty to crispy perfection on the stovetop, and serve them up in toasted buns with your favorite sauces and veggie add-ins. It’s an easy dinner that’s bursting with rich flavor from the salmon, lemon, and amazing spices.
When you’re assembling your flavorful burger there are so many ways, you can add even more delicious taste. Add in classic sandwich veggies like crisp lettuce, tomato, onion, or pickle. You can also prep the toasted buns with mayonnaise, and add other kinds of burger sauce like Honey Mustard or Tzatziki sauce.
If you want to add more refreshing herb and citrus flavor to your Salmon Burgers, try making your own creamy lemon dill sauce. To make the citrus herb sauce, add 2 tablespoons minced dill, ¼ cup Greek yogurt, 6 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, and ⅛ teaspoon salt to a medium bowl. Whisk the ingredients together and add small amounts of water to get the right sauce consistency. Once it’s all combined, you can spread the sauce over the bun, add the salmon patty, and enjoy.
- Canned salmon: You don’t need to buy a cut of fresh salmon for these burgers. The base of this Salmon Burger recipe is made with simple canned salmon. By combining the beautiful pieces of fish with the other ingredients you can form a patty for the sandwich filling.
- Patty mix-ins: To form the salmon into a burger patty, combine it with breadcrumbs and egg. The breadcrumbs fill out the rest of the patty, and the egg helps keep everything together.
- Flavoring: To give this recipe its zesty, fresh, and slightly spiced flavor there are several bold ingredients mixed in. Lemon zest, lemon juice, and dill give the fish a nice, refreshing flavor. There are also red pepper flakes, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon for a bold, savory taste.
- Salmon mixtures: Add the bits of salmon, an egg, bread crumbs, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, and red pepper flakes to a large bowl. Combine all of the ingredients. Then season the mixture with black pepper and kosher salt, before forming it into 4 evenly sized patties.
- Cook time: Add oil to a large cast-iron skillet, and turn the stovetop to medium-high heat. Then add the salmon patties and cook until golden brown. It should only take about 4 minutes, then you can flip the salmon fillet and cook the other side.
- Assemble: After you cook Salmon Burgers, put them in toasted hamburger buns with your favorite sauces and veggie fillings.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Breaded salmon patties: For a crunchier crust around the salmon patties, you can put extra breadcrumbs around the outside of the salmon. Form the salmon patties as usual, then pour panko breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl. Place each patty in the bowl and press down gently until the crumbs stick, flip and repeat to make breaded salmon patties. Cook in the skillet for a crispy, beautiful crust.
- Breadcrumb substitute: If you don’t want to use regular breadcrumbs in your Salmon Burgers, you can replace them with gluten-free panko breadcrumbs, crushed nuts, or cracker crumbs.
- Sandwich fillings: You can try all kinds of different vegetables in your Salmon Burgers. Try filling the bun with lettuce, crunchy onions, tomato, or avocado slices.
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: You don’t want to leave Cooked Salmon Burgers at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Although keeping the entire burger won’t store well, you can take the salmon patty out of the sandwich and wrap them in a piece of aluminum foil or seal them in airtight storage containers. They’ll stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You could also seal the patties in an airtight freezer-safe storage container to freeze the patties for 2 months. Let the Salmon Burger Patties thaw before you reheat them on the stovetop or put them on a parchment-lined baking sheet to heat in the oven.
- 1 can salmon , 14 ounces, drained
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 lemon , juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, combine salmon with egg, bread crumbs, garlic, lemon zest and juice, dill, Dijon, Worcestershire and red pepper flakes.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir until fully combined, then form into 4 patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add patties and cook until golden, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve patties on buns with your favorite toppings.