Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup is the perfect soup for this cold wintery weather that even your kids will love and it takes just a few minutes of prep.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup is one of those soups you know isn’t technically super healthy for you (I mean lets be honest 12 ounces of cheese!) but you can instead focus on the “heeeyyy it has broccoli and it is a soup!” part of it instead.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup has been a favorite around our house since the kids were born. Getting them to eat greens was always such a headache so I would cook up a batch of this soup and puree it entirely (I don’t add that to the instructions because I figure if you’re making it you know it has broccoli, haha).
The kids taste the cheese and are happy and I’m happy knowing I got them to eat the “little trees” that they say they hate so much. Then I also treat myself to a bowl of it inside a bread bowl.
Lets talk bread bowls for a second here. I’m team sourdough and I also spread just a bit of butter on the inside of the scooped out bowl and toast it at 350 for 10 or so minutes until it is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
There isn’t a whole lot to discuss about the making of this soup. It is pretty user friendly. If you do want more green pieces (especially if you’re serving it for company you can reserve 1 cup of the broccoli and at the end of the cooking process go ahead and steam that broccoli in the microwave for 2 minutes (glass bowl covered with a damp paper towel).
Add the broccoli to the top of the slow cooker and press down gently to just cover it with the soup. Serve it into the bowls and top with more of that steamed broccoli if you would like and some tiny cubes of cheddar.
Speaking of the cheddar cheese, use a block not the pre-shredded kind. The pre-shredded cheese you buy at the grocery store is packaged with an anti-clumping agent which will prevent it from melting as smoothly as we would like.
Looking for more crispy slow cooker meals?
- Crisp and Juicy Slow Cooker Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Bacon Garlic Pork Loin
- Crispy Slow Cooker Turkey
- Crispy Slow Cooker Corned Beef
- Crispy Cracklin’ Pork Shoulder
Or maybe slow cooker soups?
- Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Minestrone (with no cream!)
Tools Used In This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe does not need this slow cooker’s aluminum insert but it is a huge help for most recipes where you would benefit from a bit of browning. It is slightly more than most slow cookers but the benefit of one pot cooking for the next 10 or so years seems worth it to create more delicious slow cooker recipes!S
Evaporated Milk: Different than condensed milk, evaporated milk is actually milk with half of the water content removed. This makes for a thicker, creamier milk but without the high fat content of heavy cream. Condensed milk is similar to evaporated milk in that the water is removed from the milk, but the difference is about 40% of the content of that can of condensed milk is sugar. Not the best fit for this recipe.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans evaporated milk 12 ounce cans
- 6 cups vegetable stock chicken stock is fine too
- 6 cups broccoli diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese half a block
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese cut into cubes
- Mini bread bowls for serving optional
- Add the onion, garlic, Kosher salt, black pepper, evaporated milk, stock and broccoli to your slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- In a small bowl mash the flour and the butter together to make a paste.
- To the slow cooker add in the butter/flour paste, cream cheese and half the cheddar.
- Cook for an additional half hour.
- Whisk really thoroughly and add in the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Whisk again and serve (preferably in a bread bowl which makes all soups even more awesome.