Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potatoes takes just a few minutes of prep and five ingredients. Crisp chicken thighs, buttery red potatoes and shaved Parmesan cheese make the perfect easy weeknight meal.
There are a few slow cooker hacks that come into play with this recipe that you’ll find in most of my slow cooker meals that are crispy meat dishes.
- Brown your chicken/meat first before putting on the slow cooker. By browning the chicken on both sides here you’re creating a crust thats full of flavor and you’re rendering enough fat out of the chicken to coat and cook the potatoes.
- Don’t add any liquids. This method helps prevent your chicken from swimming in a bunch of watery liquids.
Looking for more crispy slow cooker meals?
- Crisp and Juicy Slow Cooker Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Bacon Garlic Pork Loin
- Crispy Slow Cooker Turkey
- Crispy Slow Cooker Corned Beef
- Crispy Cracklin’ Pork Shoulder
Tools Used In This Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potatoes:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. I browned the chicken in the cast aluminum insert before cooking the chicken on low, so I didn’t have a second pan to clean. For larger roasts I also brown the meat in the insert and not lose a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.
- 5 in chicken thighs , bone-in and skin-on
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 6 red potatoes , quartered
- 5 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme , chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan Cheese
- In your slow cooker aluminum insert (do not heat a ceramic insert, use a skillet instead).
- Heat the skillet/insert on medium high heat.
- Season the chicken to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper (I used ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper).
- Add the chicken thighs skin side down and brown for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Add in the potatoes and stir amongst the chicken fat in the pan.
- Add in the chopped garlic and thyme and season as desired with salt and pepper (again I used ½ teaspoon Kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper).
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Add half the Parmesan cheese and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Serve and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- If your slow cooker runs hot or you use inserts and the chicken steams instead of crisps, finish it in the oven at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes to crisp up the potatoes and the chicken.