Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potatoes takes just a few minutes of prep and five ingredients. Crisp chicken thighs, buttery red potatoes and shaved Parmesan cheese make the perfect easy weeknight meal.
Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potatoes may seem like a basic dish but with just a few minutes of prep work before setting the slow cooker to cook you’ll have a meal that looks like it took you an hour and five extra dishes to make.
There are a few slow cooker hacks that come into play with this recipe that you’ll find in most of my slow cooker meals that are crispy meat dishes.
- Brown your chicken/meat first before putting on the slow cooker. By browning the chicken on both sides here you’re creating a crust thats full of flavor and you’re rendering enough fat out of the chicken to coat and cook the potatoes.
- Don’t add any liquids. This method helps prevent your chicken from swimming in a bunch of watery liquids.
Looking for more crispy slow cooker meals?
- Crisp and Juicy Slow Cooker Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Bacon Garlic Pork Loin
- Crispy Slow Cooker Turkey
- Crispy Slow Cooker Corned Beef
- Crispy Cracklin’ Pork Shoulder
Tools Used In This Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potatoes:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. I browned the chicken in the cast aluminum insert before cooking the chicken on low, so I didn’t have a second pan to clean. For larger roasts I also brown the meat in the insert and not lose a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.
- 5 in chicken thighs , bone-in and skin-on
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 6 red potatoes , quartered
- 5 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme , chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan Cheese
- In your slow cooker aluminum insert (do not heat a ceramic insert, use a skillet instead).
- Heat the skillet/insert on medium high heat.
- Season the chicken to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper (I used ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper).
- Add the chicken thighs skin side down and brown for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Add in the potatoes and stir amongst the chicken fat in the pan.
- Add in the chopped garlic and thyme and season as desired with salt and pepper (again I used ½ teaspoon Kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper).
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Add half the Parmesan cheese and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Serve and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- If your slow cooker runs hot or you use inserts and the chicken steams instead of crisps, finish it in the oven at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes to crisp up the potatoes and the chicken.