Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak and Mashed Potatoes in a SINGLE slow cooker with mashed potatoes, rich gravy, mushrooms and onions over tender beef patties.
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak and Mashed Potatoes. Yep, all in one slow cooker. Salisbury steak is actually a cherished memory for me as it is one of the first meals anyone ever cooked FOR ME. I know that may not be a huge deal, but when you’re a chef people don’t cook for you.
I’ve loved salisbury steak ever since. It was also one of my favorite meals my moms group made when we were doing meal swaps together. So making this entire meal in one slow cooker (and a bowl) has become an awesome weeknight meal for us this fall.
Some tips for making this Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak:
- Browning the beef before putting it in the slow cooker isn’t negotiable for this recipe. If you don’t brown it the beef will be pretty unappetizing.
- Browning the mushrooms and onions are a huge boost of flavor but they can otherwise be placed under the beef patties with the butter cut into slices on top of them with the salt and pepper.
- I take the skin off the potatoes after they’re done cooking but if you like them they’re totally fine to leave on.
- If you want you can skip the last part where you add the broth and cook on high if you had a small saucepan you can reduce the ingredients in until thick. Just add the broth, cornstarch and Worcestershire sauce into a saucepan on medium heat until thickened and pour over the beef, mushrooms and onions.
- If you’re in a hurry you can make slow cooker salisbury steak with french onion soup and swap out the broth mixture and onions for 2 cans soup added to the meat and mushrooms.
Looking for more Slow Cooker Dinner recipes?
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef (Sliceable!)
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Ultimate Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pineapple Pork
- Crispy Slow Cooker Corned Beef
Tools used in this Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak and Mashed Potatoes:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open. I brown the meat in the insert and not lose a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind.
Cast Iron Skillet: If you don’t have a slow cooker with a stovetop friendly insert, this is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
Potato Masher: ½ whisk, ½ potato masher, I love this kitchen tool!
Better Than Bouillon: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
- 1 pound ground beef 85/15
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs panko or regular
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon beef base (or 2 beef bouillon cubes, or skip)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- 6 russet potatoes scrubbed clean
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix the ground beef with breadcrumbs, ketchup, mustard, beef base (if using), ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt and half the black pepper.
- Form them into four patties and add the patties to a heavy skillet or the stovetop safe slow cooker insert.
- Cook the patties on medium-high heat until browned on both sides, 4-5 minutes per side.
- Place the patties into ½ of the slow cooker.
- Add the butter to the pan and add the rest of the salt and pepper to the onions and mushrooms.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, stir, then cook an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add to the slow cooker on top of the cooked beef patties.
- Add a piece of 12?x12? inches of foil into half of the slow cooker.
- Place the clean and scrubbed potatoes into the slow cooker and press down tightly with another sheet of foil.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Uncover the foil and remove the potatoes. Peel if you’d like by rubbing off the skin with a paper towel or leave the skin on.
- In a bowl smash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add in the butter, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper and mash until desired consistency (I mashed the pictured potatoes for 1 minute).
- Add the potatoes back to the slow cooker in the foil still lining the bottom.
- In a cup mix the beef broth, 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce and one tablespoon of cornstarch and add it to the beef patties.
- Cook on high for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, optional.
Hamburger patties were great BUT the potatoes were no where beer being done!! I ended up with very lumpy potatoes, TERRIBLE
This is probably a silly question but do you cook this with the lid on the slow cooker?
No silly questions in cooking! You do use a lid on the slow cooker. If you try it, I’d love to hear how it turns out!
I’m fixing this for Valentines tonight. Only change is I went and thickened the broth and poured it over the meat patties and cooked onions and mushrooms and slow cooked them all together. Taters will be done separately.
I had this recipe on High for 4 1/2 hour cause I knew the potatoes would not get done on low for 4 hours. BUT they were not even done on high for 4 hours. This recipe needs to be revised.
Does this create a gravy too?
Yes but you can always thicken it up to your liking on the stovetop with some butter and flour.
I want to make this but my crock pot (slow cooker) instructions specifically say to Never Use Without Liquids in it. Will it hurt the recipe to add beef broth when you place the patties in the pot during the 4 hour cook time?
No, it won’t hurt the recipe. 🙂
This Salisbury Steak recipe that is to be made in a slow cooker, but the only times given for cooking are 4-5 minutes. That really doesn’t make much sense if your using a slow cooker. It sounds good but I would like a corrected recipe, please…..
I think the recipe plug in I’ve been using is having a glitch. I’ll edit it and hopefully it’ll stick. It should read hours.
Thanks for letting me know.
Excited to make this recipe tonight! Just wondering, how long do you keep the patties in the slow cooker?
Everything will cook at the same time in the slow cooker for 4 hours. Hope this clears up any confusion. I hope you enjoy it!
Just wondering can I peel the potaties first before putting them in the slow cooker..making this recipe today.thanks
Ugh, I missed your question. So sorry. I know you already made it but I take the skin off the potatoes after they’re done cooking but if you like them they’re totally fine to leave on. Hope you enjoyed it!
What a DELICIOUS meal! I would have never thought you could make the potatoes AND steak in the slow cooker at the same time!
Thanks, Erin! Enjoy!!
What a great comfort food dish! My family will love this!
What a nice memory you have! This looks wonderful, and I hadn’t thought about making it in a slow cooker! Great idea!
Perfect comfort food! And I love that you made both the steaks & the potatoes in the slow cooker- so convenient! 🙂
Definitely saving this to make for my husband!!
I adore that you made this in the slow cooker–along with the mashed potatoes. This is just SO smart.
I love my slow cookers, that’s for sure!!
OMG – Talk about comfort food and made my favorite way; in a crock pot. I so enjoy your recipes and amazing photography and looking forward to more.
Thank you so much, Raschell! That’s so sweet of you to say.