Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches are the ultimate sandwich made with your favorite beer with thick slices that are super tender with an amazing crust.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches are late to the game on this site. They are actually one of the first slow cooker sandwiches we used to make when we first started dating, but back then we weren’t quite as well versed in all the awesome tips in how to make them even more amazing.
The recipe for Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches which posted earlier is actually based on our recipe for this post as well as the grilled cheese sandwiches. The beer in this Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches recipe is the secret weapon to this sandwich.
Tips for making this the best Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches ever:
- In a large dutch oven, brown the heck out of the beef on both sides and season aggressively.
- Use a darker beer for more flavor if you’ve got it. If you want to avoid beer altogether use additional beef broth.
- Butter the rolls before toasting, they taste amazing buttery and toasted.
- Dip the meat slices in the slow cooker liquid before adding to the sandwich if you don’t want to dip the sandwiches.
- Let the meat cool for ten minutes before slicing, this helps it stay together more.
- There are some recipes that use beef consomme or onion soup mix. Those are totally fine to use, you can swap out the consomme for half the broth or add the onion soup instead of the fresh onion, but this way is going to make an amazing sandwich, I pinky promise.
- Make sure you’re using a chuck roast for this recipe, using cuts that are leaner will result in tougher meat.
If you’re keeping track here are the other slow cooker sandwiches we’ve got so far:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish
- Slow Cooker Pastrami Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Reuben Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker McRib Sandwiches
- Turkey Moist Maker Sandwich <— turkey made in the slow cooker
Tools Used in the making of these Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. For larger roasts I also brown the meat in the insert and not lose a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.
Worcestershire Sauce: I have been using this brand most of my life and when my husband came home with the store brand one day and I figured “eh no biggie” I could immediately taste the difference. Stick with the original.
Strand Brewing Company Beer: Love their beer, if you are in California you can even buy it at Costco. No sponsorship here but just lots of delicious beer.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Course: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 4-5 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 can beer I like a dark beer
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 slices Provolone Cheese
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
In a large dutch oven, or if you have an aluminum insert for your slow cooker add the canola oil and heat on high.
Add the Kosher salt and pepper to your chuck roast.
Brown on both sides aggressively (3-5 minutes on each side).
Don't move the beef before flipping (this lets the meat get a deep crust).
In a slow cooker add the meat, any meat juices from the pan, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, beer and onions.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
Remove the meat and slice thickly.
To assemble, butter your hoagie rolls and toast.
Top with provolone cheese.
In a small bowl add a cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and dip the sandwich in the bowl.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 414 calories, Calories: 414g, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 36g, Fat: 29g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 128mg, Sodium: 666mg, Potassium: 576mg, Vitamin A: 6.5g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 24.2g, Iron: 19g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.