Slow Cooker Tikka Masala Chicken is an easy recipe for a saucy Indian curry with all your favorite Indian Restaurant flavors!
If you’ve made our Grilled Chicken Tandoori, you know how easy it is to make restaurant-style Indian Recipes in your own home. No special equipment required, just a little prep time and a lot of spices!
SLOW COOKER TANDOORI CHICKEN
The next time you are in the mood for Indian food, put down the telephone or car keys, and try one our easy homemade recipes instead. You’ll be surprised how simple flavorful dishes like Tikka Masala or Indian Butter Chicken are to make at home. If you don’t have any garam masala on hand, we have a recipe below that you can make from your own pantry!
This crock pot Indian Chicken is full of all the spices and seasonings you find in an Indian restaurant dish with the hands off convenience of a slow cooking. Plus making it at home means you can alter the spices to your tastes or what you have on hand. If restaurant-style Tikka Malasa Chicken is usually too spicy, make your own Garam Masala blend (recipe in this post!) and leave out the cayenne pepper.
MORE EASY, TASTY INDIAN RECIPES YOU SHOULD TRY!
Our Crockpot Chicken Tikka doesn’t have a lot of yogurt or heavy cream. This is to prevent the sauce from breaking, but you can certainly add in more at the end of cooking if you’d like.
Slow Cooker Tikka Chicken works best with bone-in chicken so it doesn’t dry out with the long cook time. You can use a whole chicken, cut up into pieces, or bone-in chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, or chicken breasts. Boneless chicken breasts or thighs are better for our Slow Cooker Butter Chicken.
The traditional way to serve Indian recipes with is with fragrant rice, so use basmati or jasmine rice to make Steamed Rice. The slight heat and heavy spices of this recipe taste delicious with Indian Raita, a cool cucumber sauce.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS FOR SLOW COOKER TIKKA MASALA CHICKEN
- Veggies: Add veggies and grains to your Slow Cooker Tandoori Chicken to make a one-pot meal. Try snow peas, carrots, chickpeas, potatoes, or green beans for an easy, hearty dinner.
- Dairy Free: To make this chicken dish dairy-free, substitute coconut milk or dairy-free plain yogurt for the greek yogurt. You can also make the marinade richer with a can of coconut cream.
- Seasonings: Other seasonings you can add to your marinade are lime juice, cardamom pods, cumin, coriander, chili powder, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, or cilantro.
Garam Masala Blend
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Instant Pot Tikka Masala Chicken
- Marinate chicken at least 8 hours in yogurt and spices.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking and shake off any excess marinade.
- Pour 1 cup chicken broth into bottom of pressure cooker.
- Spray trivet with cooking spray and place inside pot.
- Place chicken on trivet, stacking if needed.
- Secure lid and seal pressure valve. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 15 minutes.
- Naturally release pressure. Place under broiler for 5 minutes if desired to get char.
Oven Tandoori Chicken
- Marinate chicken in yogurt and spices overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Remove chicken legs from marinade, shaking off any access, and place in baking dish without touching. Discard remaining marinade.
- Cook chicken legs for 25-30 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking.
EVEN MORE DELICIOUS INDIAN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE:
- Serve: Keep on warm setting for up to 4 hours or at room temperature for up to 2 hours before storing.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container or plastic bag for up to 4 days. Leftovers would be great in our Chicken Tikka Masala Bake!
- Freeze: Freeze cooked Slow Cooker Tandoori Chicken pieces in a sealed container for up to 3 months. Do not freeze raw chicken in the yogurt marinade.
- 6 chicken thighs , bone in and skin on
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Add all the ingredients to a large covered container and mix well.
- Let marinade in the refrigerator for at LEAST 8 hours, preferably 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, pour entire container into slow cooker with the chicken thighs skin side up.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
I’ve made several Masala recipes and I think this is the worst.
No flavor, not original. Don’t base your Masala off this. Yuc
Did you mean 6 thighs, not 6 pounds?
Gah, yes! Thank you!
I am so sorry, I am just seeing this tonight.
All your recipes are soooo tasty & easy to make! I love, love, love the fact that ALL your recipes are on ONE page!!! You have a wonderful site Sabrina!
Thank you so much, Bonnie.