S’mores Cheeseball is a sweet, creamy dip inspired by your favorite campfire treat. Made with graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows.
A creamy, delicious Cheeseball is the perfect Appetizer to serve at a holiday party or family get-together. This S’mores Cheeseball takes a similar idea with rich cream cheese, but adds mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers to take the tasty dessert appetizer to a new level.
Table of Contents
- Sabrina’s S’mores Cheeseball Recipe
- Kitchen Tools & Equipment
- How to Make S’mores Cheeseball
- Nutritional Facts
- Side Dishes for Your S’mores Cheeseball
- How to Store S’mores Cheeseball
- Frequent Questions
- Recipe Card
- S’mores Cheeseball Variations
- Related Recipes
Sabrina’s S’mores Cheeseball Recipe
This tasty Cheese Ball is sure to become one of your new favorite treats. It’s a fun new appetizer that’s great to serve year-round. While the large round ball of sweet cream cheese is perfect to serve at a holiday party, the S’mores mix-ins are based on a classic summer treat, so you can enjoy it all year and never feel like it doesn’t match the occasion.
The marshmallow bits, chocolate, powdered sugar, and graham crackers make this a sweet treat that kids and adults are sure to love. For similar sweet appetizers, be sure to try this Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheeseball. If you make both of them, your entire dessert table can be full of sweet dips!
“Can S’mores Cheeseball be made ahead?”
You know you’ll be busy on a holiday, party day, or any time when you’re hosting people. It is so helpful to make a few things ahead of time. This S’mores Cheeseball is the perfect choice. It will keep well for several days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The best way to make this Cheeseball in advance is to store it in the refrigerator without the outside graham cracker crust. When you’re ready to serve it, go ahead and add the graham crackers, chocolate chips, and marshmallow mixture to the outside and those ingredients will all still be fresh and crisp.
- 16 ounces cream cheese: Softened cream cheese will serve as the base of this sweet Cheeseball. This is typically going to be 2 packages cream cheese. Use a brand you enjoy eating so you know you’ll love the flavor of your finished dip.
- 2 cups powdered sugar: The powdered sugar will sweeten your cream cheese base, and will also add some texture to the dip.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract: You’ll want some depth of flavor that will bring all the flavors together. Vanilla is the choice for that in so many dessert recipes, and this one is no different. It sweetens, but also adds more flavor than sugar will.
- 1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips: You can’t have S’mores without chocolate, and for this dip that come in the form of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. They’ll be mixed into the dip, and also decorating the top. Using the mini chips allows them to be easily mixed, scooped, and enjoyed by spreading the right amount of chocolate into every bite.
- ½ cup mini cereal marshmallows: These marshmallow are small and dehydrated, just like the marshmallows you would find in boxed cereal or in hot cocoa packets. They will have a slight crunch to them, but once they sit in the Cheeseball for a bit, they’ll soften up a little and melt in your mouth.
- ¼ cup graham crackers. Of course, you need graham crackers for any S’mores recipe. To use them in this recipe you will crush them into small pieces and they will dot the outside of the Cheeseball.
Kitchen Tools & Equipment
- Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment: You need a mixer to cream and combine the cream cheese mixture. If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can combine everything in a mixing bowl and use a handheld electric mixer. Set it on high speed to bring the cream cheese mixture to the right fluffy consistency.
- Food Processor: For this cheeseball, you’ll use small pieces of graham crackers to coat the outside. A food processor will help you break up the grahams. If you don’t have one, or just don’t want to take it out, you can put the graham crackers in a Ziploc bag and break them apart on the countertop with a rolling pin.
- Spatula: Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl, and to fold in the chocolate chips to your cream cheese mixture.
- Plastic Wrap: Use clear plastic wrap to shape and chill your Cheeseball.
- Large Bowl: The last step in the process is to coat the outside of your ball in marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers. You can use a large bowl to add the outside crust, and it can also be the serving bowl you use to set out the Cheeseball.
How to Make S’mores Cheeseball
Time needed: 2 hours and 5 minutes.
- Prep Time
Take the cream cheese out of the fridge well in advance so it has time to soften. Break the graham crackers into crumbs in a food processor or ziplock bag.
- Cream Cheese Mixture
Add the cream cheese to your electric mixer and whip until light and fluffy. Once nice and fluffy, you can mix in powdered sugar. Fold in the chocolate chips to finish up the cheese ball mix.
Transfer cheese ball mixture to a rectangle of clear plastic wrap on a flat surface. Wrap the mixture up into a nice ball shape, then let it sit in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
Mix the marshmallow bits, chocolate chips, and graham crackers together in a large bowl.
- Roll the Cheeseball
Add the formed Cheeseball to the bowl and roll it around to coat it.
Let it sit out for about 20 minutes before you serve the dip-able, soft Cheeseball with your favorite dippers.
Side Dishes for Your S’mores Cheeseball
After making the S’mores Cheeseball, put it in a serving bowl on top of a large plate with varying sweet dippers surrounding it for a sweet treat combo. Here are some reader-favorite dippers to try:
- Graham crackers
- Animal crackers
- Apple slices
- Banana chips
- Vanilla Wafers
- Oreos, either chocolate or golden
- Shortbread Cookies
How to Store S’mores Cheeseball
- Serve: Don’t leave your S’more Cheeseball at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Kept in plastic wrap, you can keep this Cheeseball snack in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: As long as you keep the Cheeseball in an airtight container to keep the moisture out, it will keep nicely for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Ideas to Serve S’mores Cheeseball
The large Cheeseball surrounded by dippers makes a pretty presentation. However, you could choose to divide your cream cheese mixture up into small portions and create smaller, single-serving cheeseballs for your guests to enjoy. Just form several smaller Cheeseballs using plastic wrap, the same way you would the large ball. Refrigerate, then coat each one with the graham cracker mixture. This way, each guest at your gathering could have their own Cheeseballs. These could also be specially prepared for the kids at your party so they can each enjoy their own dessert Cheeseball.
If your Cheeseball isn’t holding its ball shape for you to add the outside coating, you just need to refrigerate it for a little longer. Make sure you give it at least 2 hours in the refrigerator, or longer if the ingredients were pretty warm when you mixed them.
Yes, you can choose reduced fat cream cheese for the base of your Cheeseball. Just be aware the texture will be a little bit less rich and creamy.
- 16 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet mini chocolate chips , divided
- 1/2 cup mini cereal marshmallows
- 1/4 cup graham crackers , crushed into small pieces
- To your stand mixer add the cream cheese and whip until creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add in powdered sugar until well combined on medium speed, about 30 seconds.
- Fold in 1 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Add mixture to a large rectangle of plastic wrap (about 16-inches long), then wrap up into a ball.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Add remaining ½ cup mini chocolate chips, cereal marshmallows, and crushed graham crackers to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add cheese ball into the middle and roll to coat well.
S’mores Cheeseball Variations
- Hot Chocolate Cheeseball: To make a hot chocolate inspired Cheeseball stir hot chocolate mix into the softened cream cheese. You can leave out the graham crackers and keep in the mini marshmallows. Once it’s all combined, you’ll have a Cheeseball full of marshmallow and chocolate goodness.
- Chocolate: For some extra chocolate, you can mix in more than mini chocolate chips. Try adding larger chocolate pieces of your favorite candy bar. You can even break apart a Hershey’s bar to mix in, which will make the Cheeseball resemble S’mores even more!
- Chocolate Cheeseball: To make a S’mores Cheeseball with rich chocolate flavor, mix ⅓ cup cocoa powder into the cream cheese.
- Sugar: Instead of powdered sugar, you could try using brown sugar or granulated sugar in the recipe. You can also use a combination of white and brown sugar in the recipe.
- Gluten-Free Cheeseball: To make a perfect gluten-free party snack, either omit the graham crackers entirely or replace them with a gluten-free version. You’ll also use gluten-free versions of all the dippers.