Stuffed French Toast is made with fluffy, egg-soaked bread cooked to golden brown perfection with a rich cream cheese filling.
This is an even more rich and indulgent twist on Classic French Toast Recipe. Creamy, sweet cream cheese is spread between two slices of toast for the most delicious Breakfast ever.
This indulgent breakfast takes the breakfast basic, French toast, and adds a lot of creamy and rich flavor that you won’t be able to get enough of. The cinnamon, cream cheese, and brown sugar filling add the perfect amount of sweet and tangy taste to the classic recipe.
Other than the filling, the cooking process is pretty much the same as it is for regular French toast. All you need is slightly stale bread, and delicious milk custard. Spread the cream cheese filling in between two slices of bread, dip it in the custard, and cook until each slice of toast is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It’s the most amazing family-friendly breakfast treat ready in practically no time!
This simple recipe is great to enjoy for a family breakfast on the weekend or over the holidays. One of the best things about it is adding different French toast flavors with optional toppings. You can serve the simple recipe with a drizzle of maple syrup, powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, Strawberry Topping, or Whipped Cream. Try putting out a few options so everyone can assemble their own French toast creation.
Another option is adding ingredients to the filling. You can slice fresh strawberries to lay across the sweet cream cheese filling. Or, spread in a layer of Nutella, jam, or melted chocolate in the middle of the recipe.
More French Toast Recipes
Cooking Tips for Stuffed French Toast
- Cream cheese mixture: To easily make the cream cheese mixture, make sure to let the cream cheese soften ahead of time so that it’s easy to mix. Add it to a bowl with brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix the ingredients together until well combined.
- Cream cheese sandwiches: Spread a layer of cream cheese over 6 slices of bread. Then top each of them off with the second piece of bread and press down gently to finish the cream cheese sandwiches.
- French toast batter: Add ¾ cup milk, eggs, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and salt to a shallow dish. Whisk until the egg yolks are well combined into the rest of the recipe ingredients. Dip sandwiches in the egg mixture to coat, and let any excess drip off for a few seconds.
- Cooking time: Add butter to a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Then cook the Stuffed French Toast on each side until the slice of bread is a beautiful golden brown color.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
For vegan French Toast, you’ll need to replace the eggs and the milk in the recipe. Whisk together 1 cup almond milk, coconut milk, or another kind of non-dairy milk with ¼ cup cornstarch, 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup to replace the delicious milk custard. Then coat the French Toast and cook as usual.
French toast is easy to make with any kind of thicker bread slices. Try using French bread, challah, Texas toast, or sourdough bread to replace the brioche.
For some delicious fruit flavors try adding fresh fruit over the cream cheese layer. Slices of peaches, fresh strawberries, or other fresh berries would all taste amazing. Another way to make strawberry cream cheese French toast is to spread Strawberry Jam over the cream cheese filling.
More Sweet Breakfast Recipes
How to Store Stuffed French Toast
- Serve: After baking, the Stuffed French Toast will stay good at room temperature for about 2 hours.
- Store: You can seal the recipe in a ziplock bag or another airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: For longer storage, seal and freeze the Stuffed French Toast for up to 3 months. To reheat the recipe put it on a greased baking sheet and pop it in the oven until warmed through.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon , divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 slices thick-cut brioche bread
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large bowl whisk together cream cheese, brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Spread mixture over half the slices.
- Combine the sandwiches and press down gently.
- In a shallow bowl add the milk, eggs, remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the butter to a large skillet or griddle on medium heat.
- Dip the sandwiches on both sides into the egg/milk mixture and let drip for a few seconds.
- Add to the butter and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.