Bananas Foster Baked French Toast is a decadent, buttery make-ahead breakfast with bananas, whipped cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.
BANANAS FOSTER BAKED FRENCH TOAST
Bananas Foster is a classic dessert originating from New Orleans made with bananas and vanilla ice cream in a rich sauce. The bananas are cooked in the sauce, which is made with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Once cooked the bananas are served with ice cream often with a whipped cream and pecan topping. This easy breakfast bake takes all those rich, sweet flavors, and bakes them with soft French toast.
French Toast is a wonderfully versatile breakfast. You can serve the toasted bread with any number of sweet toppings like cinnamon, maple syrup, powdered sugar, fresh berries, or banana. Making the French toast into a breakfast bake opens up still more possibilities because there are any number of delicious fruits and ingredients you can bake with the French toast. For more French toast bakes try our Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake and Pumpkin French Toast Bake.
HOW TO MAKE BANANAS FOSTER BAKED FRENCH TOAST
Although this Banana French Toast Bake takes a while to make, most of that time is just a matter of leaving it to sit in the fridge. This is the perfect recipe to prepare the night before and leave it until the morning. While it sits in the fridge the breading is absorbing the flavors around it, and everything combines into one delicious bake instead of separate layers. Here are some easy step-by-step tips to make sure your French Toast Bake comes out perfect:
- Start by melting the butter in the microwave. Make sure to use a microwave-safe bowl. It should only take about 30 seconds.
- Stir the brown sugar, whipped cream, cinnamon, allspice, and pecans into the butter. The pecans are optional, but they’ll add a nice crunch to your breakfast.
- Slice 3 bananas and toss them in the butter mixture. Toss gently, so the bananas don’t fall apart. Be sure to keep tossing until all the banana slices are coated.
- Grease a 13×9-in. baking dish, and pour the banana mixture over the bottom. Make sure to grease the pan so the bananas and sugar don’t stick.
- Arrange your slices of bread in one layer over the top. Cut the bread as needed to properly fit the dish.
- Put the milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a blend. Turn the blender on until mixed together. This won’t take long, and you don’t want to overmix.
- Pour this mixture over the dish, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, all you’ll have to do is preheat the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. To test if it’s done put a knife in the center of the bread and see if it comes out clean. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES TO FEED A CROWD
The rich, decadent flavors in this French Toast Bake make it perfect for special occasions like holidays. It has the familiar texture of a French toast, but with new ingredients and toppings to make an exciting change. It’s also a great choice for a holiday breakfast because it’s easy to serve to a big group. The whole breakfast is baked in one dish, and everyone can serve themselves up. Plus, because you make it ahead, you don’t have to wake up super early to prep the breakfast.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BANANAS FOSTER BAKED FRENCH TOAST
- Bread: If you don’t have egg bread there are plenty of other bread options you can use in your French Toast Bake. Try using sourdough, French bread, brioche, white bread, or whole wheat bread.
- Mixed Fruit: Because this dish is based around Bananas Foster, we only used banana in the recipe. However, if you’d like to add some more flavors add in some more fruits. Put in sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or try replacing the banana with sliced apple.
- More add-ins: There are plenty of other delicious add-ins and toppings you can put in this recipe besides fruit. Try putting in other nuts like chopped walnuts OR almonds. You can also mix some raisins in with the butter. Another option is adding toppings like cream cheese, chocolate chips, or even crispy bacon.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES WITH BANANAS
HOW TO STORE BANANAS FOSTER BAKED FRENCH TOAST
- Serve: To keep it from drying out, you shouldn’t leave your French Toast Bake out for more than 2 hours.
- Store: After it’s cooled, you can store Baked French Toast in the fridge for up to a week. Cover the dish or put it in an airtight container.
- Freeze: You can freeze this breakfast for up to 3 months. Let it defrost in the fridge, then reheat it in the oven.
- 1/2 cup butter , cubed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans , optional
- 3 large bananas . sliced
- 12 slices egg bread or challah , about ¾ pound
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place butter in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, until melted, 30-45 seconds. Stir in brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, cinnamon, allspice and, if desired, pecans. Add bananas; toss gently to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange bread over top, trimming to fit as necessary.
- Place remaining ingredients in a blender; process just until blended. Pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove French toast from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Invert to serve.