Easy Banana Monkey Bread is an ooey, gooey sweet pull-apart bread. Biscuit dough tossed in cinnamon sugar, baked with brown sugar caramel and banana slices.
BANANA MONKEY BREAD
There are endless ways to take gooey, delicious Monkey Bread and make it even more amazing. This easy variation on a well-loved breakfast classic just needs a couple ripe bananas! The sticky brown sugar caramel with the sweet bananas makes almost a Bananas Foster flavor for an extra special holiday treat with hardly any work.
Banana Monkey Bread is made with just 6 ingredients but tastes like it belongs on a 5-star dessert menu. It’s the perfect brunch item or to take to potlucks for a crowd. You can assemble Banana Monkey Bread the night before, preparing the sauce separately. When you are ready to bake, just unwrap, pour on the caramel sauce, and pop in the oven.
This Banana Monkey Bread recipe is so easy, kids of all ages can help you make it. You can let them rip the biscuit dough into pieces instead of cutting – it all bakes together so it doesn’t need to be perfect! If you don’t want kids cooking on the stovetop, just use the microwave to melt the butter. Carefully stir in the brown sugar to the melted butter until it dissolves. Pour the warm melted butter mixture over the biscuit dough pieces as usual before baking.
This Banana Monkey Bread doubles as a tasty decadent dessert or an indulgent sweet snack. Serve Banana Monkey Bread with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream. Add a handful of chocolate chips to melt on the warm Banana Monkey Bread, or make some Chocolate Ganache. For a little crunch, top with your favorite toasted nuts like walnuts or pecans.
MORE DECADENT BREAKFAST RECIPES
VARIATIONS ON BANANA MONKEY BREAD
- Chocolate Chips: Add a 1/2 cup chocolate chips in with the pieces of dough with the cinnamon sugar mix or layer dough with chocolate chips in bundt pan. Try dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips!
- Cinnamon Rolls: Instead of refrigerated biscuit dough, you can use canned cinnamon roll dough for extra cinnamon flavor. You could also use frozen dinner roll dough, French bread dough, or puff pastry, formed into small dough balls.
- Cream Cheese: Make Banana Gorilla Bread by wrapping biscuit pieces around small chunks of cream cheese before coating in cinnamon sugar. For an easier version, coat cream cheese in cinnamon sugar mixture and alternate layers of dough and cream cheese.
- Bananas Foster: Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and 1/2 cup chopped pecans to the butter-brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle more pecans with the bananas on the bottom of the pan. Bake as usual. Optional – add a tablespoon dark rum or brandy to caramel mixture.
- Banana Monkey Bread Muffins: Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Prepare banana slices, dough pieces, and caramel as usual. Alternate dough pieces and bananas in each muffin cup, starting with dough. Pour brown sugar caramel over each muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
MORE BREAKFAST BAKES
HOW TO STORE BANANA MONKEY BREAD
- Serve: Banana Monkey Bread is best served warm, but let it cool at least 10 minutes so it’s not too hot. Keep covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Store: Wrap Banana Monkey Bread tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat Monkey Bread in the oven or in the microwave at 30 second bursts until warm.
- Freeze: Once cooled, wrap Banana Monkey Bread tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 4 months and thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven.
Banana Monkey Bread
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Breakfast and Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2 bananas , peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 packages refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough , 12 ounces, each cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar , packed
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a bundt pan with baking spray.
- Add banana slices to the bottom of the bundt cake.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon and biscuit quarters to a large bowl and toss well.
- Add pieces to a bundt pan (do not press down).
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a medium saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil for one minute before pouring onto the bundt pan.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, remove from oven, let cool for 10-15 minutes then place a plate over the bottom of the bundt pan and flip over to remove.
Yield: 12 servings, Amount per serving: 642 calories, Calories: 642g, Carbohydrates: 95g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 27g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 21mg, Sodium: 1095mg, Potassium: 354mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 41g, Vitamin A: 249g, Vitamin C: 2g, Calcium: 78g, Iron: 4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.