Easy Homemade Cheddar Cheese Popcorn, just like the kind you buy in tins at Christmas and it is made in just five minutes, completely in the microwave!Did you grow up with the tins at Christmas? Every year my dad would bring one home and my mom, brother and I would fight over the tin. My brother and I would immediately fight over the cheddar and caramel sections and get yelled at by mom to eat them all evenly. Ugh. Evenly. Who actually ever wanted the butter flavor when cheese and caramel were so close by?
Then I discovered something amazing one day at the Summer Fancy Food show five years ago. G.H. Cretor’s Chicago Mix Popcorn. The people at the company were so nice and the taste was fantastic. Plus it took the best parts of the popcorn tin and combined them in one bag which meant my caramel popcorn had a slight layer of cheddar cheese dust. YUM.
But if you know me by now, you know I can’t leave well enough alone. The bags are not inexpensive and I love recreating my favorite foods at home so I set out to make my own version. You know, something like this delicious Homemade Chicago Mix Popcorn!…. Don’t worry this Chicago Mix popcorn is coming soon to your favorite blog ever *cough*here*cough* so definitely come back for that later this week!
The best part is this recipe is so easy and takes just a few minutes to make. Completely done in the microwave, no less!
Put a 1/3 of a cup of kernels in a medium brown paper bag. Roll the top of it closed. Microwave until the kernels stop popping at the rate of at least 1 per second. In a large brown paper bag, combine the popcorn and butter by shaking the bag while pouring the butter in a slow stream. Once all the butter is in, roll the bag closed and shake it REALLY well.
Combine the cheddar cheese powder, mustard powder and salt in a small bowl.
Sprinkle over the popcorn while shaking the bag. Roll it back up and shake vigorously.
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup cheddar cheese powder
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- 6 cups popped popcorn or ⅓ cups popcorn kernels
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Put a ⅓ of a cup of kernels in a medium brown paper bag.
- Roll the top of it closed.
- Microwave until the kernels stop popping at the rate of at least 1 per second.
- In a large brown paper bag, combine the popcorn and butter by shaking the bag while pouring the butter in a slow stream.
- Once all the butter is in, roll the bag closed and shake it REALLY well.
- Combine the cheddar cheese powder, mustard powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over the popcorn while shaking the bag.
- Roll it back up and shake vigorously.
- Enjoy immediately!
This post contains affiliate links
Can’t find cheddar cheese powder easily? You can find it in my Amazon store or in a pinch, use the kind that comes in boxed macaroni and cheese! I’ve also made this with the addition of sour cream powder to make Cheddar Cheese and Sour Cream Popcorn! I’ve also use it on homemade chips (recipe coming soon!). Want other flavors of popcorn? Drop me a note in the comments and I’m happy to decode flavors you would like into recipes for you 🙂