Baked Cod is rich, buttery, and ready in 25 minutes. Coated with crispy bread crumbs and flavored with paprika, cumin, and garlic powder!
This Baked Cod Recipe is the perfect easy and healthy Weeknight Dinner Recipe. Baking the cod in the oven makes it a simple hands-off recipe and it’s a healthier alternative to Fried Fish Recipes, but there’s still a nice crisp outer layer.
Oven-baked Cod Filets are full of buttery garlic flavor with a crisp bread crumb coating that’s just so good! You coat the pound of fish in three easy layers, then put in a baking dish to cook for just 15 minutes. The unbelievably flavorful dinner will be ready in no time without any hassle at all.
Lots of seafood recipes require manning the grill or frying pan while the fish cooks. Fortunately, for this Baked Cod recipe once the cod is cooking your work is practically done. The easy recipe also leaves you with plenty of time to make some easy Side Dishes and complete the whole meal.
Along with being flavorful and easy, Baked Cod is also a great option for healthier dinners. Cod is loaded with lean proteins, vitamins, and minerals that are great for any diet. It’s good for the heart and for keeping a healthy weight. This recipe gives you all those benefits, and because it’s baked in the oven it has less fat and calories than fried fish. The bread coating and seasoning still provides plenty of flavors that make the recipe a favorite with the whole family.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BAKED COD
There are lots of delicious sides you can serve with this Baked Cod recipe to add some extra flavor and texture. Here are some of our favorite combos:
- Rice: For rice, you can serve the fish over simple Brown Rice, cauliflower rice, or basmati rice.
- Salad: Cod also goes great with fresh green salads like Greek salad or Wedge Salad.
- Vegetables: Any spring vegetables will taste delicious. Try Green Beans, roasted asparagus, carrots, and peas for some easy, crisp, flavorful sides.
MORE EASY BAKED DINNERS
TIPS FOR MAKING BAKED COD
- Baked Cod recipe topping: You’ll need 3 separate bowls for this recipe. Whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder in one bowl. Beat the eggs together in a smooth mixture in your second bowl. In your third bowl combine the panko and the breadcrumbs. Coat the cod fillets in the flour, then the eggs, then the bread crumb mixture.
- Baking time: Place the prepared cod on a baking dish and coat them in cooking spray. The cooking spray will help give the fish a nice crispy outer layer. Pop the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until the fish is browned. To test if the cod is done, you can stick a fork in the thickest part of the fish and twist it gently. The fish will easily flake when it’s baked. Take the casserole dish from the oven and serve.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BAKED COD
- Lemon Baked Cod: To make Lemon Baked Cod exchange the bread crumb mixture for an easy lemon juice mixture. Mix together
- Flavorful liquids: For some extra flavor bake the cod in cooking liquid that it can soak up in the oven like soy sauce, white wine, balsamic vinegar, or rice wine vinegar.
- Seasonings: You can also top the recipe off with your seasonings of choice like fresh basil, chili flakes, oregano, parsley, rosemary, or onion powder.
- Bread crumbs: Instead of Panko breadcrumbs, you can crush up your own bread, nuts, pretzels, or crackers.
MORE SEAFOOD RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BAKED COD
- Serve: Don’t leave Baked Cod out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the Cooked Cod cool before storing it. Put the cod in an airtight container to store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You could also freeze the fish recipe for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge then reheat it for a few minutes in the oven before serving.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Beat eggs in a second bowl.
- Mix panko and breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Coat fish in flour mixture then in eggs then in breadcrumbs and place on a baking sheet.
- Spray with vegetable oil spray and bake for 12-15 minutes until browned.