Beer Cheese Dip is the perfect Super Bowl party appetizer, with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella, garlic, and beer.
Do you remember the Queso Dip I made for the site a while back? Well, it’s become such a favorite that I decided to make another cheesy dip. You can serve this delicious Beer Cheese Dip (along with other Appetizer Recipes) at your next football party or get together with friends, and it’s delicious served with everything from veggies to soft pretzel bites.
BEER CHEESE DIP
What could be better than a rich, cheesy dip for game day? Beer Cheese Dip is an amazing appetizer that you can serve up with all sorts of tasty dippers, like soft pretzel bites, chips, veggies (like cauliflower or celery sticks,) or even onion rings or fries. Based on what beer flavor you use, you can pick out the perfect dipper to compliment the overall flavor of the cheesy dip.
When you’re making this cheese sauce, you want to make sure you get the correct thickness and texture. You don’t want the Beer Cheese Dip to be thin and soupy, but you also don’t want it to have thick chunks in it. The key to getting the correct texture is to stir it enough to break everything up, and if it gets too thin, add in a thickening agent until it reaches the correct thickness.
HOW TO MAKE BEER CHEESE DIP
- Add your cream cheese and beer to a large sauce pan over medium heat and whisk until creamy.
- Add in the cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and garlic salt until completely melted.
- Serve with your favorite dipping foods like bread, chips, pretzels or vegetables.
MORE DELICIOUS DIP RECIPES
VARIATIONS ON BEER CHEESE DIP
- Add ins: If you want spicy beer cheese dip, you can slice up some fresh jalapenos and mix them in. Remember that spice gets hotter when it’s refrigerated, so keep that in mind when you put away the leftovers for later.
- Cheese: You can mix and match your cheeses to get different overall flavors. Try pepper jack cheese, white cheddar, or extra sharp cheddar cheese. You can experiment with the sharpness of the cheese to compliment your choice of beer as well.
- Spices: Try mixing in some garlic powder, kosher salt, or a dash of dijon mustard to get some new flavors. You can also add in a Cajun spice blend, paprika, or onion powder to mix things up a bit.
BEER CHEESE DIP FAQS
- What kind of beer should I use? The kind of beer really is up to you. Reds, ambers and stouts are usually used, avoid anything too hoppy.
- Does beer cheese have beer in it? Yes, it usually does but there are some varieties without it.
- How do you thicken beer cheese dip? Add a little cornstarch, starting with 1 tablespoon, until it reaches the thickness you want. You can also use all-purpose flour, but cornstarch is better since you don’t have to use as much and can control the thickness better.
MORE GAME DAY APPETIZERS
HOW LONG IS BEER CHEESE DIP GOOD?
- Serve: Don’t leave the Beer Cheese Dip out at room temperature for longer than about 2 hours.
- Store: Let the Beer Cheese Dip cool down to room temperature before you refrigerate it to keep it. As long as you keep the Beer Cheese Dip tightly sealed in an airtight container like tupperware or a freezer bag it should last you up to about 6 months. Just be careful not to let excess moisture into the dip or it will spoil.
- Freeze: One of the most asked questions is “can you freeze beer cheese dip?” I would recommend against it for a couple of reasons. First the cream cheese texture will be off as it thaws. Second, the beer flavor will become more muted as you thaw and reheat it. Do yourself a favor, make this dip fresh!
Beer Cheese Dip
- Yield: 16 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Course: Dip
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup beer , (I used Heineken)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded (the sharper the better)
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt , (I used Lawry's)
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add your cream cheese and beer to a large sauce pan over medium heat and whisk until creamy.
Add in the cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and garlic salt until completely melted.
Serve with your favorite dipping foods like bread, chips, pretzels or vegetables.
Yield: 16 Servings, Amount per serving: 228 calories, Calories: 228g, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 42mg, Sodium: 539mg, Potassium: 95mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 428g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 208g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.