Red Wine Pot Roast is an easy classic comforting meal made from braised chuck roast seasoned with herbs, spices and red wine cooked until it is fork-tender.
Roasts are among the most popular recipes on our site including the most amazing pot roast you’ll ever make in your slow cooker –> Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast, and the most amazing, tender and Ultimate Garlic Pork Loin Roast.
RED WINE POT ROAST
Braised Red Wine Pot Roast is one of my all-time favorite roasts. You can even make it a one pot dinner by adding potatoes and carrots but we love serving it over mashed potatoes.
WHAT KIND OF RED WINE TO USE FOR POT ROAST
The first rule of cooking with wine is that you use one that you would also drink. If you wouldn’t drink it, then you shouldn’t cook with it because you won’t love the flavor of the dish.
Personally, I like to use merlot or cabernet sauvignon, because they are more dry than other varieties. Merlot will be slightly sweeter, while cabernet sauvignon will be richer.
For this recipe I stick with a cabernet sauvignon, if you do like another variety you won’t be disappointed. Personal tastes in wine are important and very subjective.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RED WINE POT ROAST RECIPE IN THE SLOW COOKER
- In a large sauté pan with oil over medium heat, season the roast and brown on all sides.
- Add, onion and tomato paste to the slow cooker, then put the roast on top.
- Add all other ingredients over the roast. Close the lid and cook on high for four hours, or low for eight hours.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW LONG DOES POT ROAST KEEP?
Pot roast will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, any longer and it should be frozen. Try to save as much of the broth as possible to cover the meat, which will help keep it from drying out when reheated.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH POT ROAST
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Sautéed Green Beans
- Creamed Onions and Peas
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Garlic Butter Mushrooms
HOW TO MAKE RED WINE POT ROAST IN THE INSTANT POT
- Season the roast, then sear it in oil and garlic in a large pan (depending on the size of your instant pot and the roast, you may be able to do this with the saute function of the pot).
- Add onions to the instant pot, then the roast. Pour in broth and wine.
- Close the lid and seal the pressure valve. On manual mode, set on high for 80 minutes. Release naturally and serve.
TIPS FOR MAKING POT ROAST
- Make sure you cut the vegetables into larger pieces, or they will cook too fast and become mushy.
- If you want more veggies, try potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, or sweet potatoes.
- Sub olive oil or butter for the canola oil if that’s what you have.
- Add a few pieces of fresh rosemary to the dutch oven for a more herby flavor.
- Don’t skip searing the meat on all sides before cooking, this is key to keeping the meat tender and juicy.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and season the chuck roast with the Kosher salt, pepper and thyme and add to a large dutch oven with the canola oil on medium heat.
- Brown the meat on all sides (3-4 minutes on each side) then remove from the pot.
- Add the onions and garlic cooking for 1 minute, stirring frequently before adding in the tomato paste and cooking for 1 more minute, stirring well.
- Add in the beef broth, red wine and the roast, cover and cook in the oven for 3-4 hours until fork tender.