Breakfast Burrito Casserole has all the flavors and texture from your favorite burrito baked into a simple casserole. With salsa, eggs, cheese, and sausage.
BREAKFAST BURRITO CASSEROLE
Sure, Breakfast Burritos are great on their own, but they have some drawbacks. For one thing, they can be very messy. Especially if you’re serving them to kids, you know half the filling will end up on the floor. It’s also time consuming to roll up individual burritos for everyone. Wouldn’t it be great if you could get the delicious Tex-Mex taste of a burrito without all that work? This Breakfast Burrito Casserole is the perfect solution!
Making this breakfast casserole is a simple matter of cooking up some eggs and sausage, then layering them with other delicious ingredients. There’s minimal cleanup, and it’s easy for people to serve it up themselves.
If you’re tired of making the same old breakfast recipes, then you have to try this easy Burrito Casserole. It’s a savory casserole with classic breakfast ingredients like scrambled eggs and sausage. But it changes up your typical breakfast by adding ingredients from your favorite Mexican dishes like tortillas, salsa, and pepper jack cheese.
It’s a wonderfully creamy Burrito Casserole with melty cheese and slightly spicy flavors. You and your whole family are sure to love this fresh take on an egg and sausage for breakfast!
LAYERING YOUR BREAKFAST BURRITO CASSEROLE
Making this Baked Burrito Casserole is surprisingly easy. Once it’s done in the oven you’ll have layers of delicious Mexican flavors so you can get all the taste in each bite. Here’s how to layer it all so every bite is perfect:
- Before you start making the casserole cook the sausage in a skillet. After that, take out the sausage and scramble half the eggs in the skillet.
- The first layer in your casserole is tortilla. Layer half the tortillas flat across the bottom of your baking dish.
- Add in half the cheese, half the salsa, then put the cooked eggs over the top of that.
- Put another layer of cheese and salsa, and layer the rest of your flour tortillas over the top.
- Pour the remaining uncooked eggs mixed with milk over the top of your casserole dish.
- After that, just cook the casserole and serve with your choice of toppings.
MORE SAVORY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPES
Frozen Breakfast Burrito Casserole
- Either prepare the dish exactly according to the recipe, or double up the recipe to make two breakfast burrito casseroles. If you make two, you can enjoy one casserole on the day of and save the other in the freezer.
- Once it’s assembled, wrap it well in plastic wrap then foil.
- Write the date on the tin foil so you know how long it’s been in there, and put it in the freezer.
- When you’re ready to reheat remove the plastic wrap and foil carefully.
- Add the foil back to the pan and bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Take foil off and bake an additional 20-25 minutes.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BREAKFAST BURRITO CASSEROLE
- Meat: Some other meat options to try are ham, turkey, and turkey bacon. You can also try using ground beef. Ground beef with taco seasoning is a classic ingredient for Mexican food. However, ground beef will also make this recipe taste less like breakfast food. So if you’d like to prepare a Beef Burrito Casserole as a main dish for lunch or dinner this would be a great option.
- Cheese: There are plenty of different kinds of cheeses you can add to your recipe. Try mozzarella, queso fresco, Cotija, or any other kind of cheese you want to try layering in this casserole.
- Tortillas: Instead of using regular flour tortillas, you can exchange them for whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas.
- Bean Burrito Casserole: Again, you might not like this idea as much if your enjoying your casserole in the morning. However, if you want to change up this breakfast casserole a bit to have it throughout the day you can always add beans. Both refried beans and black beans would be great options. Layer the black or refried beans along with your salsa and cheese.
- Toppings: There are plenty of other flavors add-ins and toppings you can try in your Burrito Casserole recipe. Try adding in some sour cream. For extra flavor mix in some cilantro or chopped green onion with the sour cream. Layer the sour cream mixture over the salsa. you could also try replacing the salsa with other classic Mexican sauces. A creamy enchilada sauce, or creamy avocado sauce would taste amazing in this recipe.
MORE MEXICAN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BREAKFAST BURRITO CASSEROLE
- Serve: Once you’ve cooked your casserole dish, don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the dish cool, before storing any leftovers in the fridge. Cover the baking dish in plastic wrap or tin foil to keep it fresh for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze this recipe for 3 months. Just make sure it’s sealed in an airtight container.
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 12 large eggs , divided
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk , divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 flour tortillas , quartered (burrito size)
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 cup jack cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet on high heat, breaking it apart as you cook it, until it is browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove sausage from pan, draining from the fat.
- In a large bowl whisk together 6 eggs, ¼ cup milk, salt and pepper.
- Add butter to a large skillet on medium heat.
- When melted add eggs and cook, scrambling them until they're just short of fully cooked (it's okay if they're wet, they will cook in the oven).
- In the same large bowl you mixed the eggs in add the remaining 6 eggs, remaining 1 cup milk and whisk well.
- Layer ½ the flour tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add half the cheese, half the salsa, eggs, sausage, remaining salsa and remaining cheese.
- Layer with the remaining flour tortillas on top.
- Pour the egg/milk mixture carefully over the casserole evenly.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, green onions, more cheese and salsa as desired.