Breakfast Burrito is a quick and easy breakfast made with bacon, eggs, salsa. cheddar, and avocado, wrapped in a flour tortilla and ready in under 15 minutes!
A Breakfast Burrito is the BEST quick and easy breakfast, made with hearty breakfast sausage or bacon (we made them with both options for testing and team bacon won), savory eggs, cheese, and avocado with pico de gallo, wrapped in a flour tortilla. This is my go-to Tex-Mex breakfast when we have a busy schedule, plus it’s freezer-friendly so we always make ahead on the weekends. You can make this with cooked sausage or chicken, and I always top with a few extra spoonfuls of salsa and pico de gallo.
HOW TO WRAP A BREAKFAST BURRITO
When wrapping a breakfast burrito, it’s important not to use too much filling, or your burrito won’t close correctly or the filling will spill out. Place your filling in the middle of the tortilla. Roll one side over, then fold each end in before rolling the burrito the rest of the way.
I don’t recommend making these with corn tortillas, but you can mix the filling together and use the tortillas to make breakfast tacos or quesadillas!
HOW LONG DOES A HOMEMADE BREAKFAST BURRITO RECIPE LAST?
Breakfast burritos will last in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, or frozen for 2-3 months. I recommend labeling your burritos if you make multiple kinds, so you can easily pull it out of the freezer.
HOW TO RE-HEAT A freezer breakfast BURRITO
- Place the frozen burrito on a plate and microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then bake burritos for 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Defrost the burrito in the refrigerator a few hours beforehand, then warm the burrito in a skillet for 3-5 minutes, until the inside is hot.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
WHAT OTHER VEGGIES CAN BE ADDED TO THIS BREAKFAST BURRITO RECIPE?
- Refried beans
- Breakfast potatoes
- Bell peppers
MORE BREAKFAST IDEAS
- Easy French Toast Bake
- Classic Pantry Pancakes
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Belgian Waffles
- Eggs Benedict
- Easy Banana Bread (No Mixer!)
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS BREAKFAST BURRITO RECIPE
- Meal prep by doubling this recipe. Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil before freezing. Remove foil and plastic wrap, then microwave for 1-2 minutes before eating.
- Swap the breakfast sausage with bacon, pork roll, or Canadian bacon if you prefer. You can also use cooked shredded chicken or pork.
- You can substitute the cheddar cheese with Swiss cheese, pepper jack cheese, or mozzarella cheese.
- Make Greek breakfast burritos with spinach, feta, tomato, and olives!
- Use leftover corned beef hash with sautéed cabbage for an Irish breakfast burrito!
- Add some spice to these burritos with cayenne pepper or sliced jalapeños, or use spicy sausage or hot salsa.
- Scramble the eggs with the cheese, then add the egg mixture to the burrito instead of layering each separately.
- Lighten this up a little bit by using cooked turkey sausage, egg whites, and fat free cheese with extra chopped vegetables.
- Stuff your burritos with hash browns or tater tots for an extra filling version.
- You can toast the burritos in a skillet on each side, or put in a panini press for a crispy tortilla.
- 8 ounces pork breakfast sausage
- 8 large eggs whisked well
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 4 flour tortillas burrito sized
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado diced
- Add the pork sausage to a large cast iron skillet on medium heat and cook through crumbling it up until no longer pink then remove from the pan.
- Add in the eggs and cook, scrambled, until just set, about 2-3 minutes then remove from the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the burritos layer the tortilla first then the cheese, eggs, sausage, pico de gallo and finally the avocado before folding in the sides and rolling closed.