Broccoli Pie is the easiest cheesiest veggie casserole. Golden brown crustless quiche with broccoli florets, shredded cheddar cheese, eggs and biscuit mix.
Tasty, cheesy veggies dishes like Broccoli Casserole are great for weeknight dinners, potlucks, or the holidays. Check out even more easy, delicious veggie Side Dish Recipes to serve with any meal.
If you have a picky eater, or maybe just aren’t a big fan of veggies yourself, you are going to love this delicious Broccoli Pie. This creamy dish tastes like a broccoli cheddar soup but served like a casserole for an easy weeknight side your entire family will love!
Even though Broccoli Pie is loaded with cheese and an eggy quiche filling, its still relatively healthy! Three cups of fresh broccoli florets gives you lots of dietary fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C to balance out that rich cheesy filling. Enjoy the double win of a tasty dish that gets your picky eaters to eat their veggies.
Broccoli Pie can be compared to a broccoli cheddar quiche, just made without a pie crust. It’s got an egg and biscuit mix filling that makes it heartier. If you want to make this completely from scratch, you can use this recipe for Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits instead of the box mix.
The broccoli cheddar flavors in Broccoli Pie go with just about any meal. For a fancy Easter dinner, serve Broccoli Pie along with Roast Leg of Lamb and Rainbow Roasted Vegetables. For a casual, easy weeknight meal serve as a side dish for Garlic Pork Loin Roast.
You can make Broccoli Pie ahead of time, either baked or unbaked. Store an unbaked Broccoli Pie up to 2 days in the refrigerator or freeze for 1 month. Thaw a frozen Broccoli Pie in the refrigerator overnight before baking. Add 10 minutes to the baking time when cooking a chilled pie.
To turn Broccoli Pie into an easy complete meal, add cooked diced ham or chicken breast for a pot pie without the pie crust kind of dinner. If you are adding meat and vegetables to make Broccoli Pie heartier, use a 9×13 casserole dish instead of the pie plate.
Serve with These Main Dish Recipes
Can you use frozen broccoli in Broccoli Pie?
You can use frozen broccoli instead of fresh broccoli in this recipe with an extra step. You will need to completely thaw the broccoli and pat dry so that it doesn’t release too much moisture into the filling. Keep in mind that frozen broccoli is more stems than florets, but that’s a preference issue.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Veggies: If your family isn’t crazy for broccoli, swap it out for cauliflower or thick sliced zucchini and summer squash. You can also just add veggies like diced bell pepper or mushrooms.
- Topping: Give your Broccoli Pie a crispy topping with a 1 ½ cups of panko breadcrumbs, French fried onions, crushed cornflakes, or potato chips mixed with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Cheese: Instead of shredded cheddar, use Swiss cheese or mozzarella cheese. For a creamy Broccoli pie, use ricotta cheese or cottage cheese and reduce the milk by a ¼ cup.
- Pie Crust: Turn Broccoli Pie into a true pot pie by baking in a store bought pie crust (thawed). Use two crusts and top the pie with one crust with slits cut for vents.
- Low Carb: To replace the biscuit mix, substitute ¼ cup blanched almond flour, ¼ teaspoon gluten free baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Monkfruit (or Stevia) sugar and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Pie
Easily make crockpot Broccoli Pie, no need for steamed broccoli step! Mix all the ingredients following the recipe and place in slow cooker. Fold in fresh broccoli, stirring gently. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. If using frozen broccoli, thaw and drain first and reduce cook time by at least an hour (on low).
More Easy and Delicious Veggie Side Dishes
How to Store
- Serve: Broccoli Pie can be at room temperature for up to 2 hours before you need to refrigerate or freeze.
- Store: Cool Broccoli Pie completely before covering tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: This Broccoli Pie can be frozen for up to 3 months, covered in plastic wrap and foil or in an airtight container. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli , chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion , minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/2 cup Original Bisquick™ mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9-inch pie plate.
- Microwave broccoli in a glass bowl covered with a wet paper towel for 2 minutes to steam.
- Mix onion, cheese, bisquick, milk, salt, pepper and eggs together, then fold in the broccoli.
- Pour into pie plate and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.