Baked Chicken Thighs are easy, simple have the crispiest skin EVER. They can be seasoned any way you want (ideas included) and they’re done in 40 minutes.
When you don’t have time to make a whole Perfect Roast Chicken, this recipe will save the day and your kids will go crazy for the crispy skin.
BAKED CHICKEN THIGHS
Don’t let how simple these baked chicken thighs are fool you, this chicken recipe is full of flavor. Dinner tonight is going to be crispy, rich and delicious.
If you need an easy recipe for a weeknight dinner, it doesn’t get much easier than crispy baked chicken thighs (the cook time is the longest part). Don’t let how simple it is fool you, this chicken recipe is flavorful and tasty, with no added oils or fats. Also, don’t be tempted to use skinless chicken thighs, the crispy skin is delicious.
All you have to do is make sure that your chicken thighs are dry, and season them with salt and pepper. Then, put them in a baking pan and you’re ready to roast them. No, seriously, that’s all you have to do. 35 to 40 minutes later, your chicken is done and ready to eat.
If there’s a big question mark in your mind about how a recipe that’s so easy can be so good, we’ve got some answers for you. Baked chicken may not be as much of a classic American dish as fried chicken, but it is better for you and has just as much flavor. Baking chicken is a great way to get flavor without having to use oil or adding extra fat, and the blend of salt on the skin helps the meat stay moist and flavorful. Plus, this is a great chicken thigh recipe to try if you’re limiting your carbs.
If you liked this recipe, next time you should try some of our other Crispy Baked Fish Sticks, Oven Fried Chicken, or our Easy Chicken Casserole.
What to serve with Baked Chicken Thighs:
Here are some delicious side dishes to try for dinner tonight.
- Baked Mac and Cheese: twice baked potatoes are a favorite because of how rich and creamy the insides turn out while the outside stays crisp.
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes: this recipe is an absolute classic for a reason, since garlic mashed potatoes go great with anything.
- Green Beans with Bacon: these are green beans that your whole family will eat. The bacon adds a different kind of crunch to the savory green beans.
- Rainbow Roasted Vegetables: I love bringing in a rainbow to kids meals and this helps kids try new vegetables because they want to eat the whole rainbow.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
When you know how to bake chicken thighs, you can easily modify the recipe to fit specific occasions. Even just experimenting with different seasonings can give your chicken a whole different taste. Try it with garlic powder, paprika or Italian seasoning to match the occasion. This is a fun, simple way to change up the dish without effecting the prep or cooking time. If you want to try a blend of seasonings, try mixing them together in a small bowl before spreading it on the meat so that it is thoroughly mixed together.
The nice thing about chicken that is isn’t cooked in a strong-tasting sauce is that you can use the leftovers to make any kind of dish you can imagine.
- Tacos: pull the meat off of the bone of your chicken thigh and tear it into small pieces. Put those in a small bowl and reheat in a microwave. Once it’s warm, all you have to do is add it to a taco shell along with your favorite toppings.
- Chicken Noodle Soup: pull the meat off and then use the bones to make a quick broth. Once your broth is done, add the chicken, fresh veggies and cooked egg noodles and simmer until done.
- Chicken Salad: mix together your favorite blend of fresh fruit and vegetables and then cut up your leftover meat. Add the chilled chicken and serve with a dressing that compliments the salad theme.
WHAT MEAT IS ON A THIGH?
Chicken thighs are mostly dark meat, and they are relatively lean when compared to other cuts. The meat is great for baking, and for tenderizing with rubs and marinades. Unlike chicken breasts that are mostly white meat, chicken thighs have a richer, deeper flavor because it has a slightly higher fat content.
WHEN IS CHICKEN COOKED THROUGH?
When you cook chicken thighs, remember to test them with a probe thermometer before you eat them. According to the USDA’s website, your chicken is done when the internal temperature is 165 degrees F (73.9 degrees C). Anything less than that, and your insides will regret it.
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN
- Serve: don’t leave your chicken out at room temperature for longer than two hours.
- Store: in an airtight container, cooked chicken can last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: your baked chicken thighs will last for around 6 months.
- 6 chicken thighs , bone in and skin on
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make sure your chicken thighs are dry and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place into baking dish and roast for 35-40 minutes.
This was delicious!
Hello I was wondering if the baked chicken Thighs recipe if the thighs were on some kind of gravy. Thanks just wondering
I didn’t use a gravy with this recipe. The chicken will release liquid as it cooks.
These look divine. I knew I could find a good crispy chicken thigh recipe on your site! 🙂 I’m wondering… I have a lot more thighs to cook than six. Could I put them on a sheet pan, instead, or should I just do batches in a dish? Thanx!
Yes, absolutely. A sheet pan would be fine.
Baked cover or uncovered? Thanks
Simple to prepare and delicious. I tried this recipe last night as I needed a quick, last-minute dinner idea. The chicken was juicy and flavorful. Thanks, Sabrina, for this winning recipe!
So happy you enjoyed it!! It is great for last minute dinners – so easy!
The easiest recipe ever. Flavor is amazing. My husband has lost much of his sense of taste with chemo therapy, but this recipe has enough flavor for him to taste and enjoy. So glad to have given this a try. Make it all the time now.
I’m so glad he’s able to enjoy it.
These baked chicken wings are AMAZING!! So simple to make and so flavorful! Thanks for sharing!
You’re welcome, Chelsea. Thanks so much for the 5 star rating.
Definite repeater recipe!
I LOVE chicken thighs! They get to crispy and tender. Yum!
So glad you enjoyed them!
I am always looking for new chicken thigh recipes and this was a huge hit with my family! There weren’t any leftovers!
Fantastic! Thanks for coming back to let me know.
This quickly became a favorite dinner at my house! I love how flavorful it was!
So glad you enjoyed it, Toni. Thanks for coming back to let me know.
That chicken is perfectly crisp! This recipe is divine!
Thanks, Tanya! I appreciate the 5 star rating.
I was wondering…. did you add butter or oil before baking?