Cake Mix Cookies made with just 4 ingredients in one bowl are sweet, bakery soft, and incredibly EASY to make in under 20 minutes!
CAKE MIX COOKIES
Cake Mix Cookies are soft and chewy, made with ONLY three ingredients in one bowl, so you can easily make these any day of the week! Plus cleanup is an absolute breeze. All you need is cake mix, oil, eggs, a spatula, bowl, and a cookie sheet. One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that it uses oil instead of butter, so you don’t have to worry about bringing it to room temperature or your cookies spreading too much while baking. All of your dry ingredients are already measured for you in your cake mix, so you only have to measure one ingredient total.
You can throw a handful of chocolate chips into the dough, or anything that comes with the cake mix line funfetti or sprinkles. You can also make this recipe with chocolate cake mix if that’s what you have on hand (coming tomorrow!). It’s honestly the easiest dessert you will ever make, which makes it my go-to when I don’t have a lot of time!
HOW TO MAKE CAKE MIX COOKIES SOFT?
The cake mix is already doing most of the work here for you, and these cake mix cookies will turn out soft already. Make sure you don’t over bake them, which can dry out your cookie. I would be really surprised if these cake mix cookies didn’t turn out soft and chewy as is.
If your cookies still aren’t coming out right, try lowering your baking time or temperature. This is one of my tried-and-true recipes, so if you’re not getting good results try to make sure you are using a good quality baking sheet. Your cookies may burn too quickly if the metal doesn’t conduct heat well.
HOW TO MAKE CAKE MIX COOKIES WITHOUT OIL
A healthier alternative to the oil in this cake mix cookies recipe is to use the same amount of mashed banana. You can also use butter in the same amount that your cake mix calls for. Some recipes also call for a one to one substitution with sour cream instead of oil.
The cookies will not have the same amount of moisture or texture if you choose to make this substitution so please know that when you remove oil you are removing flavor and texture from what you are baking.
HOW TO MAKE CAKE MIX COOKIES WITHOUT EGGS
You can make cake mix cookies without eggs by substituting the same amount of applesauce in the recipe. You can also substitute one egg with one teaspoon of baking powder plus 1 tablespoon of water to the cake mix.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
TRY ADDING THESE MIX-INS TO YOUR CAKE MIX COOKIES
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Butterscotch or white chocolate chips
- Crushed peanuts
- Caramels (these will make your cookies gooey!)
- Coconut flakes
- Roll them in Sugar! This is what we did with these cookies to give them an extra special touch, roll your cookie dough in sugar before baking.
MORE DESSERT COOKIE RECIPES
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Black and White Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Oatmeal Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies
TIPS FOR MAKING CAKE MIX COOKIES
- You can make these cookies with any cake mix that you have. Try carrot cake mix, strawberry cake mix, red velvet cake mix, or chocolate cake mix to change up the recipe!
- You can add some vanilla extract to your dough for extra flavor if you think your cookies need it, but usually the cake mix will have enough flavor.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent your cookies from sticking and make cleanup easier.
- You’ll get 12-24 servings out of one box of cake mix for this recipe, depending on how big your cookies are. I often make a double batch if I know I’ll be having people over, or have some box mix leftover from another cake recipe.
- If your cake cookies are turning out too dry, try to bake them at a lower temperature or decrease the baking time.
- You can dust these cookies with powdered sugar, frosting, or a sprinkle of cinnamon depending on your own taste!
- 2 eggs
- 1 18.25 ounce white cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and in a large bowl whisk the cake mix, eggs and oil together.
- Roll two tablespoon sized cookie dough balls in sugar then add to the baking sheet.
- Bake them for 8-10 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets.