Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole is a family favorite made with bacon, chicken, cheeses and ranch seasonings layered with tater tots.
With Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches being one of the most popular recipes on the site, it only seemed fitting that to make it into a casserole dish. You still get that same amazing flavor but layered in between tater tots. Yum! Check out other Dinner Recipes for more easy weeknight dinner ideas.
CHICKEN BACON RANCH TATER TOT CASSEROLE
Readers can’t get enough family-friendly casserole dishes, like Cowboy Casserole and Cheeseburger Casserole, so it was only natural to include one of the best flavor combinations EVER. Chicken. Bacon. Ranch. Tater Tots. What more needs to be said? This is pretty much the ingredient list guaranteed to make everyone in your house happy at the dinner table.
The process for putting this casserole dish together can be pretty quick, using a few hacks described below. Make this chicken casserole on a night where you have leftover chicken from the night before or pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store on your way home (or make your own here in a slow cooker.)
Since ranch dressing is a staple is most homes, try making your own Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix. Being able to know exactly what’s in your food and making your own allows you to cut out some of the added sodium the packet includes. It’ll also save you money and the fact that it’s always on hand is such a bonus. This mix is kept in the refrigerator and well worth the little bit of effort.
MORE DELICIOUS CASSEROLE RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BACON RANCH TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- Tater Tots: You can double up and use two layers of tater tots if you want extra potato flavor but the lower layer might get a little mushy. Try tossing the tots with some vegetable oil and ranch seasoning mix to get extra flavor into the top later too!
- Chicken Filling: You can try a variety of mix-ins in the chicken layer by adding beans or other vegetables. Make sure that you balance the mix so it stays saucy or it will dry out in the oven.
VARIATIONS ON CHICKEN BACON RANCH TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- Mexican: Substitute the ranch dressing mix for taco seasoning and make Chicken Taco Tater Tot Casserole. Add in green chilis or jalapeños to the casserole and top with Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack and Colby Jack cheeses.
- Chicken: You can use any type of cooked shredded chicken you prefer. Chicken breasts and chicken thighs both give great flavor to this dish.
- Spuds: You can substitute thinly sliced potatoes or shredded hash browns for the tater tots.
MORE FUN FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE
- Serve: Make sure not to leave the casserole out at room temperature longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze this casserole as a whole or separate it into single serving size portions. Wrap tightly so moisture isn’t able to get in and store in a freezer safe storage bag or container. It’ll last up to 3 months if stored properly. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion , chopped
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (10.5 oz)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1 ounce ranch dressing & seasoning mix
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- 1 pound bacon , cooked and crumbled
- chives , for garnish
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In 8- or 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion in oil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
In a medium bowl, stir onion, condensed soup, sour cream, milk, 1 cup of the cheese, 2 tablespoons of the dressing mix and the black pepper until mixed well; stir in chicken.
- Place half of the frozen potatoes in single layer on bottom of baking dish. Spoon and spread chicken mixture on top of potatoes; sprinkle 1/4 cup of the bacon on top.
- In large resealable food-storage plastic bag, add remaining potatoes with remaining dressing mix; seal and shake bag to coat. Arrange on top of casserole.
Bake 40 minutes; top casserole with remaining 1 cup cheese
Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are lightly browned.
Garnish with remaining bacon and chives.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 604 calories, Calories: 604g, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 36g, Fat: 44g, Saturated Fat: 19g, Cholesterol: 137mg, Sodium: 727mg, Potassium: 413mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 586g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 292g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.