Double Chocolate Banana Bread is the PERFECT combo of your favorite banana bread and indulgent cocoa powder and chocolate chips, that’s so moist from the bananas and rich from the chocolate!
Homemade breads are a staple in this kitchen, and right new we have our classic Banana Bread, Banana Nut Bread, and Vanilla Pound Cake.
CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
Chocolate Banana Bread takes your normal banana bread recipe and takes it to another level with rich cocoa powder and sweet chocolate chips. This is a great recipe to give out as a gift, or to portion and freeze for easy breakfasts later. It’s also super kid friendly and even perfect to serve for a chocolate-y dessert!
This banana bread recipe uses only one bowl and a loaf pan (if you want to skip using your stand mixer), making cleanup easy. You can dust the loaf pan with flour, use a non-stick pan, or line it with parchment paper to prevent the banana bread from sticking.
I love serving banana bread with a big pot of coffee and some Easy Whipped Cream on top. You can also microwave the loaf before serving for 20 seconds and serve it warm, like it’s just out of the oven and serve it with some Vanilla Ice Cream on top.
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
Chocolate banana bread can be stored on the counter, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. It will keep for about 3-4 days. I do not recommend freezing banana bread, because it can dry out when stored that way.
You can also cut it into individual slices, wrap in plastic wrap and tinfoil, and freeze for on-the-go breakfasts or snacks. This banana bread recipe will last in the freezer for 3-4 months.
WHY DID MY LOAF FALL IN THE MIDDLE?
You can fix fallen banana bread with a few simple tips next time you make it. First, make sure your ingredients are fresh, especially the leavening agents. Next, you can try whisking together your dry ingredients before adding them to the wet ingredients, to make sure everything gets evenly mixed. And finally, make sure you watch your time closely, and even check your loaf a few minutes before it’s supposed to be done.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD?
- Dried cranberries
- Peanut butter
- Cinnamon or nutmeg
Create a free account to Save Recipes
CAN YOU MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD FROM CAKE MIX?
You can make this chocolate banana bread recipe with cake mix if you’re short on time. Use one box of chocolate cake mix (or vanilla cake mix for regular banana bread), with ⅓ cup applesauce, 3 eggs, and 1 ½ cup mashed ripe bananas. Then add the chocolate chips and follow this banana bread recipe as normal.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD MOIST
- Substitute the white sugar for brown sugar in this chocolate banana bread recipe. Brown sugar contains more moisture naturally, and helps keep the loaf soft and moist.
- Measure your ingredients carefully, because too much all purpose flour can dry out baked goods.
- Watch your oven temperature and be careful not to over bake the loaf. You can use an oven thermometer to make sure the oven is cooking at the temperature you set it to.
- Add sour cream or plain yogurt to the batter, to give a light and fluffy texture to the banana bread.
- Be careful not to over-mix the batter. If you still see some loose flour, don’t worry, as long as most of it is mixed in.
HOW TO MAKE BANANAS RIPEN QUICKLY
You can ripen bananas a few different ways, without waiting for them to brown on the counter. The longest way is to put the bananas in a brown paper bag, which helps them build up natural ethylene gas and brown in a day or two.
My favorite way is to microwave the bananas, because it only takes a few minutes. Poke a hole in the banana with a fork, then microwave them for 30 second intervals until they are over-ripe. Let them cool before you bake with them.
MORE DESSERT BREADS
TIPS FOR MAKING CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
- You can use dark cocoa powder for a deeper chocolate flavor in the banana bread.
- Make this loaf dairy-free by substituting the butter with applesauce, and using allergen-free chocolate chips.
- I make this chocolate banana bread in a loaf pan, but you can also use this recipe to make banana muffins. If you’re making muffins, decrease the cooking time to 15-20 minutes.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can make this loaf with an electric hand mixer and a large bowl. You can also mash your bananas with the electric mixer or in the food processor.
- If your semi-sweet chocolate chips are sinking, dust them with all purpose flour before adding them to the batter.
- Top this banana bread with chocolate ganache, chocolate frosting, or chocolate glaze for double chocolate banana bread!
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed (1 ½ cups mashed)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer beat together the butter, sugar and eggs then add in the bananas and vanilla. Add in the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder until just mixed then fold in the almost all the chocolate chips.
- Pour into a 9x5 loaf pan and sprinkle over the remaining chocolate chips and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Hello I made that bread with real chocolat fromage thé Costa Rica factory.
No oven so I cookie dit on thé bbq for 35 minutes at 200F. I also used 1/2 coup of almond fluor and used dark brown keto sugar . Super good
Very easy and delicious.
You mentioned about adding yogurt. How much should be added ? And is it a substitute for any ingredient ?
You can add 1 cup of yogurt to this recipe to make it even more moist. Enjoy!
This looks delicious and of course I am out of bananas, except what I have in the freezer. Can I use frozen bananas?
Yes, defrost gently in your microwave on half power and mash well.
Question what quantity of nuts should this loaf get? I want to add pecans. Thanks
I would add about 1 cup of pecans for this recipe. Enjoy!
My family loves it! My 5yo has recently become a super picky eater and refused to eat the last few banana bread recipes I baked, but she loves this one – so much better than processed foods to rake as a snack to school!
I actually made it as 8 mini loaves instead of 1 big loaf – worked great, I just cut the baking time down to 30-35 minutes.
I have a picky eater too so I know that feeling when you find a recipe they will eat haha! So glad this one has won her over 🙂
You mention adding peanut butter as an option in this chocolate banana bread. How so?
You could always add chocolate peanut butter chips to this bread for a peanut butter touch.
Could I use peanut butter as a substitute for butter and reduce the sugar.
I haven’t used peanut butter as a substitute for butter, so I can’t make a recommendation. Personally, I would add in addition as an extra flavor.
Hi what is the best flour self-raising or plain thanks
all purpose flour
It looks yummy! Can I leave it on the counter or I have to put it in the fridge?
You can leave it on the counter if you’d like. Just make sure it’s covered properly so it doesn’t dry out. Enjoy!
Thank you once again for some awesome recipes… have a question… I love walnuts in my banana bread.. If you were to put them in this chocolate banana bread recipe would you toast them (bake them) first and then add them to the recipe or just add them raw into the recipe?
Thank you for your time and all you do to help the rest of us.. I am so grateful.
I look forward to your blog daily.
Have a blessed day!
I’m so glad you’re enjoying the recipes. If you want to add walnuts, it’s a personal preference whether you want to toast them or not. Enjoy!
The absolute best combo in the world! Chocolate + banana heaven! Thank you for this recipe!
Definitely, you really can’t go wrong!
Oh I love everything about this! Just delicious
I love this recipe!! I made banana bread last night I cant wait to try this one with chocolate!
Chocolate just makes everything better 🙂 Enjoy!
Chocolate and banana are the best combo ever. This is so stinking good.
So glad you enjoyed it, Alli!
I love that you added chocolate to this classic! I want to make for my kids tomorrow!
If they’re anything like my kids, they’ll love it!!