Cake Mix Cookies made with just 5 ingredients in one bowl are ultra rich, chocolatey, and bakery soft EASY cookies in under 20 minutes!
Just like our original Cake Mix Cookies we made yesterday these Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are an amazing cookie hack recipe! You should also try our crazy popular Cake Mix Hack for a bakery style cake made from a cake mix.
CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX COOKIES
These Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies take yesterday’s cookies up just two little extra notches. We add 1/3 cup of cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips to the recipe to give them EVEN MORE chocolate flavor. We still have all the extra benefits of cake mix cookies. Just one bowl, just oil instead of butter, same delicious amazing bakery style cookies as a result.
The kids who got to enjoy these cookies declared them the “best super chocolatey cookies they’d ever had.” You can’t argue with that review. In fact you could even get your kids to help make them given how incredibly easy this recipe is!
HOW TO MAKE CAKE MIX COOKIES SOFT?
- Keep the stirring to a minimum. Mixing too much will cause the gluten to over-activate and make tough cookies.
- Make sure your oven is at the right temperature, if it is too high they’ll overcook.
- If your cookie sheet is too thin it may burn the bottoms. I like to use a silicone baking sheet to protect the bottoms of my cookies.
HOW TO MAKE CAKE MIX COOKIES WITHOUT OIL
You can substitute mashed bananas or applesauce but as I mentioned in the classic Cake Mix Cookies recipe please know the cookies will not have the same amount of moisture or texture if you choose to make this substitution. When you remove oil you are removing flavor and texture from what you are baking.
TRY ADDING THESE MIX-INS TO YOUR CAKE MIX COOKIES
- MORE Chocolate: Make these even more fun by adding in a rainbow of chocolate chips, white, milk, dark.
- Chopped up candy bars or peppermint candies
- toffee chips, peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips
- Nuts: chopped peanuts, pecans, walnuts or almonds
MORE DESSERT COOKIE RECIPES
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Black and White Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Oatmeal Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies
TIPS FOR MAKING CAKE MIX COOKIES
- You can make these cookies with any cake mix that you have. Try carrot cake mix, strawberry cake mix, red velvet cake mix, or chocolate cake mix to change up the recipe!
- Try flavored extracts. The cake has plenty of flavor but we experimented by adding 1/2 teaspoon of root beer extract once and the kids loved it!
- Lining baking sheets with parchment paper makes sure nothing will stick and can make cleanup much easier!
- Make your cookies even bigger using a 1/4 cup scoop and bake at a lower temperature (325 degrees) until they set in the middle and make ice cream sandwiches out of them.
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Yield: 24 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2? large eggs
- 15.25 ounce chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2? cup? vegetable oil
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and in a large bowl whisk the cake mix, eggs, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and oil together.
Make two tablespoon sized balls of dough and bake them for?8-10 minutes?on ungreased cookie sheets.
Yield: 24 servings, Amount per serving: 136 calories, Calories: 136g, Carbohydrates: 19g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 18mg, Sodium: 105mg, Potassium: 25mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 11g, Vitamin A: 35g, Calcium: 19g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.