Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is a sweet and tender bakery-style treat! Buttery sour cream cake with chocolate chips and cinnamon sugar topping.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COFFEE CAKE
This tasty coffee cake is like a delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie for breakfast! The easy, light vanilla cake batter is layered with a full cup of chocolate chips and sweet cinnamon sugar blend. The secret ingredient, sour cream, makes every bite rich and moist, even days after it’s baked.
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is one of the easiest sour cream coffee cakes. It’s made with common pantry ingredients that you already have on hand. And if you don’t have chocolate chips? Substitute fruit and nuts, or just double the cinnamon filling for a simple cinnamon coffee cake.
Ready in less than an hour, Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is a great recipe for the next time you need a quick, delicious breakfast for a crowd. You can keep it at room temperature for days or make it ahead and freeze for up to 3 months. This coffee cake is best served warm, so reheat it at 325 degrees after it has thawed overnight in the fridge.
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is the perfect breakfast with a cup of coffee and maybe a little butter. You can serve it at brunch dusted with powdered sugar or drizzle with Chocolate Ganache for extra chocolate. For dessert, serve this coffee cake warm with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream and a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips.
Tips for Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- Bring all your ingredients to room temperature before you begin making this Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake recipe. It takes about 30 minutes, depending on how warm or cold your kitchen is.
- If your butter isn’t softened in time, microwave in 5 second bursts until soft but not melted. Melted butter will make your cake more dense and the crumb less delicate.
- You can bake this in a tube pan or bundt pan, but the baking time will be longer. For a tube pan, or deep springform pan, the bake time is 45-50 minutes and a bundt pan bake time is 40-45 minutes.
- For a lighter, fluffier cake, you can whip the egg whites separately before adding them to the coffee cake batter. This step isn’t necessary but if you have extra time, try it out for an incredibly airy cake! Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold in after you add the dry ingredients.
MORE TASTY COFFEE CAKE RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHOCOLATE CHIP COFFEE CAKE
- Chocolate: Double Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake by substituting ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder for ¼ cup flour, and increase sugar to 1 ¾ cups.
- Chocolate Chips: Use whatever chocolate chips you like in this recipe, like dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips.
- Brown Sugar Streusel: Make a traditional streusel topping with 3 tablespoons cold butter, ½ cup flour, ½ cup brown sugar, and the cinnamon. Combine with a pastry cutter until crumble forms, add chocolate chips to streusel and sprinkle over batter.
- Sour Cream: You can use plain greek yogurt, whole milk, or buttermilk instead of the sour cream in this Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake recipe.
- Bisquick: Use 2 ½ cup Bisquick baking mix (or this homemade Pancake Mix) instead of the flour in this recipe. Leave out the butter and all the other ingredients and instructions stay the same.
- Muffins: Make Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake Muffins. This batter will make 12-16 muffins. Fill lined muffin cups halfway, divide half the filling among the cups, and top with batter and remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake for 18-24 minutes.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES FOR A CROWD
HOW TO SERVE CHOCOLATE CHIP COFFEE CAKE
- Serve: This Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is best at room temperature and will stay fresh for up to 3 days. Cover cake and store in a cool, dry place.
- Store: Keep your Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake longer in the refrigerator. Use a paper towel to absorb moisture and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: Once the Coffee Cake has cooled completely, place in a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before warming to serve, either in the microwave or oven.
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- In a stand mixer on medium speed, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, sour cream and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients on low speed until just combined.
- Pour half of the coffee cake batter into prepared baking dish.
- Combine chocolate chips, cinnamon, and remaining sugar. Sprinkle half over batter.
- Top with remaining batter in spoonfuls. Cover with remaining chocolate chip cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.