Crinkly Brownie Muffins are super moist, chocolatey treats made mess-free and portable in muffin cups. Perfect for an on-the-go dessert.
When it comes to rich, moist, fudgy brownies, these Crinkly Brownie Muffins are unbeatable. The tops of the muffins bake until they’re shiny and crinkly, while the inside of the muffin stays warm and gooey. The melty, gooey texture is perfect for serving over an ice cream scoop. Try pairing the wonderful chocolate flavor with Vanilla Ice Cream for the ultimate dessert combo.
Crinkly Brownie muffins get their rich chocolate flavor from semisweet chocolate chips. Using melted chocolate chips in the recipe instead of unsweetened cocoa powder makes the brownies even more moist and delicious. Chocolate lovers won’t be able to get enough!
Video: How to Make
Table of contents
- Video: How to Make
- Sabrina’s Crinkly Brownie Muffin Recipe
- Kitchen Tools and Equipment
- How to Make Crinkly Brownie Muffins
- Nutritional Facts
- How to Store Crinkly Brownie Muffins
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Recipe Card
- Variations Crinkly Brownie Muffins
Sabrina’s Crinkly Brownie Muffin Recipe
This easy Dessert Recipe using simple ingredients and quality chocolate turns out just as fudgy and delicious as our Classic Brownie Recipe. But, making the brownies in muffin pans is less messy, easy to store, and easy to take with you on the go.
Baking with kids? This is the perfect recipe. These treats are especially great to serve kids too! Unlike normal brownies that you have to slice, you don’t have to worry about getting chocolatey crumbs everywhere when you make these Brownie Muffins. Instead, they’re already made into perfect serving sizes. They’re also perfect for packing in school lunches or taking on a road trip as a special treat.
Can These Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make Crinkly Brownie Muffins ahead of time! Simply bake and store them in an airtight container for up to three days. Reheat briefly in the microwave for that fresh-from-the-oven experience or enjoy them straight from the container for a convenient treat.
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter: Butter adds moisture and richness to the muffins. Unsalted butter is preferred to control the salt content. You can use salted butter if you reduce or omit the added salt.
- ½ cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips: These chips provide a deep chocolate flavor and a bit of texture.
- 4 large Eggs: Eggs act as a binding agent, adding structure and moisture to the muffins.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract: Vanilla enhances the overall flavor profile.
- 1 ½ cups Sugar: Sugar sweetens the muffins and contributes to their moist texture. We’re using granulated sugar here.
- 1 cup Flour: Flour provides structure to the muffins. Feel free to use whatever flour you prefer. We’re using all-purpose flour.
- ¼ teaspoon Salt: Salt enhances the flavor and balances the sweetness.
Kitchen Tools and Equipment
- Muffin Tins: These are essential for baking the muffins. Use non-stick muffin tins or line them with muffin liners to prevent sticking. Greasing them lightly is also an option, or parchment paper inserts.
- Microwave-Safe Bowl: Needed to melt the butter and chocolate chips together. Ensure it’s microwave-safe to avoid accidents. Stir frequently during microwaving to prevent burning.
- Stand Mixer: Ideal for mixing the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. You can use an electric mixer or mix by hand, but a stand mixer makes it easier.
- Scoop: A scoop ensures even distribution of batter into the muffin liners, creating uniform-sized muffins. It’s a time-saver and reduces mess. Use a cookie scoop or even an ice cream scoop!
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: Precise measurements are crucial for baking. Use dry measuring cups for flour and sugar, and liquid measuring cups for the butter. Level off ingredients for accuracy.
How to Make Crinkly Brownie Muffins
Time needed: 35 minutes.
- Step 1: Preheat and Prepare
Preheat your oven to 325°F (163°C) and line two muffin tins with 18 muffin liners.
- Step 2: Melt Butter and Chocolate
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup of unsalted butter and ½ cup of semisweet chocolate chips. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until smooth and glossy.
- Step 3: Mix Eggs and Sugar
In a stand mixer, add 4 large eggs and mix on medium speed until they become lighter in color, about 1 minute. Then, add 1 ½ cups of sugar and mix for about 5 seconds.
- Step 4: Combine Wet Ingredients
Pour the melted butter-chocolate mixture into the egg-sugar mixture and mix until well combined.
- Step 5: Add Flour and Salt (Dry Ingredients)
Gradually add 1 cup of flour and ¼ teaspoon of salt to the mixture. Mix until just combined; be careful not to overmix.
- Step 6: Scoop and Bake
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin liners. Bake in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes until the tops are dry and crinkly.
- Step 7: Cool and Enjoy
Allow the Crinkly Brownie Muffins to cool before enjoying these delicious, chocolatey treats!
How to Store Crinkly Brownie Muffins
To ensure your Crinkly Brownie Muffins stay fresh, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. For longer storage, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.
To freeze, wrap muffins individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be frozen for up to six months. Thaw at room temperature or microwave gently for a quick treat.
Frequently Asked Questions
The key to giving your delicious chocolate brownie recipes perfect crinkle tops is the eggs. If you whisk the eggs in a separate bowl before adding them to the brownie batter, it aerates them. As that air rises while baking, it creates the crinkly, crisp brownie top.
The higher the fat-to-flour ratio in a brownie recipe, the more chewy and fudgy the brownies will be. If there’s a higher percentage of flour, it makes more cakey brownies. So, if you want your brownies chewier, you can increase the butter or oil in the recipe.
If your muffin tops are not getting crinkly, try baking them a little longer, around 1-2 minutes, while keeping a close eye on them. The crinkly texture comes from the top layer drying out.
Absolutely! Feel free to add chopped nuts, chocolate chunks, or even dried fruits to the batter for added texture and flavor. Just fold them in gently before scooping the batter into the muffin liners.
Yes, you can experiment with different types of chocolate, like dark or white chocolate chips, to customize the flavor. Adjust the quantity based on your preference for sweetness.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line two muffin tins with 18 muffin liners.
- Add butter and chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments until smooth and glossy.
- Add eggs to stand mixer and mix on medium speed until lighter in color, about 1 minute.
- Add sugar and mix for 5 seconds.
- Add in the butter-chocolate mixture, and mix until well combined.
- Add in flour and salt until just combined.
- Scoop into muffin liners and bake for 22-25 minutes until tops are dry and crinkly.
- Click on the “yield” amount to slide and change the number of servings and the recipe will automatically update!
- To convert measurements to grams, click on the “Metric” option next to “Ingredients” in the recipe card.
Variations Crinkly Brownie Muffins
- Chocolate Chips: You can alter the taste of your recipe slightly by using different kinds of chocolate chips. Try dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips in place of semisweet. You could also add chocolate chunks or mini chocolate chips to the Brownie Muffins. Once you’ve combined the brownie batter, fold in ½ cup of extra chocolate chips for a double chocolate flavor.
- Sweetener: If you don’t want to use regular white sugar in your recipe, try brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar for your sweetener.
- Brownie Cupcakes: To make Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes try adding some frosting. You could use a Chocolate Frosting, Chocolate Ganache, or Peanut Butter Frosting for the Chocolate Brownie Cupcake recipe. Let the Brownie Cupcakes cool completely while you make your choice of frosting. Then frost cupcakes before serving.
- Toppings: For some fun recipe toppings, you can add powdered sugar, melted chocolate, or crushed nuts to the Crinkly Brownie Muffins.
- Espresso powder: You can give this brownie bites recipe a rich chocolate and coffee flavor by mixing in 3 teaspoons of coffee powder into the powder. The espresso powder enhances the natural sweetness in the chocolate.
- Mini Brownie Bites: Use your prepared baking mini muffin tin to make fun mini brownies that will satisfy the chocolate cravings of any chocolate lover!