Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna Roll Ups with a beefy bechamel sauce, ground beef, cheddar cheese, mushrooms and onions for a new cheesesteak you’ll love!
Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna Roll Ups
We love all things Philly Cheesesteak around here as evidenced by the dozen or so recipes that we’ve made to enjoy those classic flavors. These lasagna roll ups are the saucier cousin to the crazy viral Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells that you may have seen going viral on pinterest and facebook.
And if you want two of my favorite recipes of all time, these are legitimately my two favorite: Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes and Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches. I could eat them every day, forever and ever. Well until I outgrew all the black yoga pants on the market, haha.
Why make lasagna roll up? We love these rolled lasagna servings for 1 because they’re easy to serve and to freeze. We love to triple this recipe (2 boxes of lasagna sheets should do the trick for this) and serve them up when we’re having a craving.
How to re-heat lasagna roll ups:
- First using a spatula move the lasagna roll to a foil pan.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of milk to the remaining sauce and whisk together.
- Pour the sauce over and around the lasagna roll.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and food is hot throughout.
Some tips about making lasagna roll ups:
- Make sure you cook the noodles a minute shy of the box directions, this helps keep the shape after baking.
- Don’t use the no boil noodles, since you have to boil them they’ll become mushy and the ruffled edges of the normal variety help keep the filling in.
- Bake covered before removing the foil to brown. You don’t want the noodles to get too crispy since they’ll be exposed and not swimming in sauce.
- The more you fill the harder to roll and leave at least 2 inches at the end without filling to complete the roll.
- I reserve about 1/4 cup of the filling to top after it comes out of the oven for presentation. Totally doesn’t matter if you don’t care about that.
- Since all the ingredients are baked we are putting it in the oven to cook long enough to melt the cheese inside then uncovering long enough to brown.
- Make your filling and sauce ahead of time and you can put the meal together in 30 minutes.
- Make the rolls ahead and freeze them in loaf pans for individual servings or in 8×8 foil pans for a quick dinner.
Looking for more cheesy pasta options?
- Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Cheesecake Factory Louisiana Chicken Pasta (Copycat)
- Bacon Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper
- Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper
- Philly Cheesesteak Hamburger Helper
Tools used in the making of these Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna Roll Ups:
Lasagna Noodles: Make sure you buy this variety and NOT this one. It makes keeping the filling in much easier.
Baking Pan: Easy to use, doesn’t warp, freezes well and has high enough sides you don’t have to tent it when you add the foil.
Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna Roll Ups
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: American Fusion
- Author: Sabrina
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- 8 lasagna noodles cooked one minute shy of instructions
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk (I used whole)
- 1 cup beef broth
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Add the ground beef to a large cast iron skillet (this browns very well) and brown until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart.
Stir the ground beef and brown until a deep crust appears on about 50 or so percent of the beef.
Remove the beef (you can leave the fat) and add the butter and the onions and bell peppers.
Let brown for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let brown for another 1-2 minutes before stirring again.
Add the beef back into the pan.
Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and black pepper into the pan and stir.
Remove the beef mixture from the pan to a large bowl while you make the sauce.
Using the same pan add the beef broth, milk and cornstarch and whisk before turning the heat back on.
Add in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese a little at a time while whisking for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
Line up the lasagna sheets and scoop the beef mixture over the noodles, leaving about 2 inches uncovered.*
Spoon over small amounts of the sauce (not enough to spill off the noodles).
Top each one with 2 tablespoons of cheddar (1 cup for the 8 noodles).
Roll the noodle somewhat tightly starting on the side with the filling.
Place the rolled pasta in a 9x13 pan and cover with the sauce.
Top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
* If you'd like to make the lasagna rolls a bit fancier save some of the filling for the topping and sprinkle some on after the last bit of cheddar cheese.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 476 calories, Serving Size: 1 , Calories: 476g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.Save Recipe