Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf with green bell peppers, onions and mushrooms topped and stuffed with Provolone Cheese.
Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf is officially our new favorite meatloaf in our house. We’ve been on an everything Philly Cheesesteak kick through the summer and this meatloaf is just replacing our previous favorites.
We have a go-to meatloaf recipe we’ve used for years and a bacon cheeseburger meatloaf (this is coming in the fall). This recipe is 100% better than that one and I LOVE that one. So take that recommendation as seriously as you want. 😉
Ways to enjoy this Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf recipe:
- Enjoy as you normally would or you can bake in smaller loaf pans.
- Top with Cheez Whiz instead of Provolone for your loaf pan.
- Let it cool completely in the fridge, cut thick slices and sear in a super hot pan with a pat of butter.
- Take the seared slices and add to sandwiches/hoagie rolls.
- Looking for more Cheese Steak recipes? They’re one of my favorite things to cook in every form, so look no further!
Tools Used in the making of these Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf:
Cast Iron Skillet: This is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
Loaf Pan: Even cooking, looks beautiful and works well to avoid sticking, this pan is inexpensive and lasts for years.
Chef’s Knife: This knife is one of the three most used tools in my kitchen (tongs and my pig tail flipper are the other two). I love it, I’ve had it for almost 10 years and it is as sharp today as the day I got it. (left column, second from the top). Mind you I love it this much even though I have a ridiculously expense knife set as well.
Worcestershire Sauce: Do not leave this out or sub it for anything else, this is a main flavor component and this brand is my absolute go-to.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef 80/20 or 85/15
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces Provolone Cheese Slices
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a large loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, add the butter and the onions and bell peppers, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Let brown for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let brown for another 1-2 minutes before stirring again.
- Let cool for five minutes.
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, ketchup,Worcestershire sauce, eggs, panko breadcrumbs and the cooled vegetable mixture.
- Add half the mixture to your loaf pan then add half of the cheese to the middle of the pan in a 2 inch wide section (I cut the slices into thirds for the right width).
- Cover with the rest of the meat and form into a rounded top loaf shape.
- Cook for 40 minutes, then pull out of the oven, cover with remaining cheese and put back in.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, then let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.