Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup is a creamy beef stew loaded with onions, mushrooms, bell peppers and cheese topped with buttery croutons!
What if you took Classic Beef Stew and loaded it with all the toppings of the best Philly Cheesesteaks? You’d get the most amazing Soup Recipe that’s perfect for cool fall nights and weekend tailgating!
Our Philly Cheesesteak Beef Stew is a favorite for cheesesteak “wit out” lovers and this recipe is for all the fans of the Philly Cheesesteak served “wit” cheez-wiz. This hearty, made-for-Game-Day meal is packed full of all the Philly flavors that make a cheesesteak one of the best sandwiches ever. Serve it on it’s own or with a side of soft Dinner Rolls for dunking!
This Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup is an easy weeknight dinner recipe that comes together in minutes. You can buy pre-cut meat and veggies to save on prep time or cut them yourself. Either way the prep time for this soup recipe is about 15 minutes tops. Once you have everything in the pot, you have about an hour to make side dishes like Roasted Broccoli, and then dinner is ready!
Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup is a budget friendly dinner made with inexpensive beef stew meat and a handful of veggies. Beef stew meat is great for quick cooking recipes when you need dinner fast. Beef stew meat and chuck roast are forgiving cuts that only get better the longer they cook, so throw Cheesesteak Soup in a crockpot if you need a dump and go dinner!
More Philly Cheesesteak Recipes to Try
The only thing better than reinventing Sloppy Joes is transforming Philly Cheesesteak! The meaty, cheesy, beef filling plus onions, peppers, and mushrooms are perfect for reinventing your favorite meals with just extra few ingredients. Check out our Philly Cheesesteak Recipes and see for yourself what a game-changer for Game Day recipes this sandwich filling can be!
Make Ahead Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup
You can make Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup ahead of time for an easy, delicious freezer-meal for busy nights. Cook your soup up until you add the cheese. Cheeses tend to separate when you freeze them in soup, so save that step for reheating. Thaw your soup overnight in the refrigerator and reheat over low heat on the stove top or in a slow cooker until hot. Stir in the Velveeta and cheddar cheese, top with croutons, and serve!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
You can substitute (or add) any of your favorite Philly Cheesesteak cheeses like Provolone, cream cheese, or blue cheese. Serve with a squeeze of cheez-wiz for a truly Philly dish.
Instead of beef stew meat or chuck roast, you can use top round (London broil) or rump roast, whatever is on sale for the most budget friendly dinner. Also try Philly Cheesesteak Soup with chicken breasts or pork shoulder roast!
Some like it wit onions, some like cheesesteaks wit-out. If you are a wit-out onions family, use 1-2 tablespoons onion powder. You can also swap out mushrooms or bell peppers with red peppers, crimini mushrooms, shredded carrots, or zucchini.
Let everyone load up their Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup with traditional toppings like Cheez-wiz, fried onions, raw onions, banana peppers, hot peppers, hot sauce, or barbecue sauce.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Season beef and sear in oil until browned, about 3-4 minutes each side.
- Sauté onions until translucent, and then add beef-onion mixture to slow cooker.
- Deglaze pan with beef broth, scraping off any browned bits, and pour over beef and onions.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours.
- Stir in mushrooms and green peppers, cover and cook an additional 1-2 hours.
- Add cheeses and stir until smooth. Serve with croutons and your favorite Philly Cheesesteak toppings!
Other Hearty Soups to Try
How to Store Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup
- Serve: You can keep Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Keep on warm in a slow cooker for up to 4 hours, stirring occasionally, and cover when not serving.
- Store: Cool Cheesesteak Soup completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat this cheesy soup on low heat, stirring frequently, so it doesn’t separate.
- Freeze: Store cooled Philly Cheesesteak Soup in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove over low heat, without bringing to a boil, stirring frequently.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat , or cut up chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 cups mushrooms , sliced
- 2 green bell peppers , diced
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , cubed
- Homemade croutons , recipe below
- Add oil to a large pot or dutch oven on high heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Add beef to the pot and sear on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add in beef broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat.
- Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Add in the mushrooms and bell pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the Velveeta and cheddar cheese until smooth.
- Serve immediately, topped with fresh homemade croutons.
½ teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or 5 seconds oil spray) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Toss the croutons with garlic salt and vegetable oil.
Spread in a single layer on baking sheet.
Bake for 11-13 minutes until golden brown.