MORE DELICIOUS CANDY RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE RUM BALLS
- Mix dry ingredients: Mix confectioners’ sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Add crushed vanilla wafers and chopped walnuts, then toss to combine.
- Mix wet ingredients: In another bowl, mix corn syrup and rum. Stir into dry ingredients until well combined.
- Form Rum Balls: Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in additional confectioners’ sugar or other coatings, if desired.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON RUM BALLS
- Chocolate Rum Balls: Add dark chocolate chips to your Rum Ball dough. You can also dip them Chocolate Ganache or melted white chocolate for a delicious and beautiful topping.
- Butter Pecan Rum Balls: To make a butter pecan version of this Rum Ball Recipe, add a teaspoon of butterscotch flavoring and roll in crushed pecans.
- Bourbon Balls: Substitute your favorite spiced bourbon for the rum in this recipe.
- Cookie Crumbs: You can use any cookie crumbs instead of vanilla wafers. Try Oreos (with or without the frosting), shortbreads, or graham crackers.
- Cinnamon: Add ground cinnamon to your dough. You can also roll them in a cinnamon sugar. Mix ½ tsp cinnamon to ¼ cup granulated sugar, and keep leftovers for cinnamon toast.
- Coatings: Roll your balls in leftover vanilla wafer crumbs, sprinkles, shredded coconut, or mini chocolate chips instead of, or in addition to, the chopped nuts.
- What is the difference between light and dark corn syrup? Light corn syrup has a lighter flavor and is made with vanilla. Dark Corn syrup has a more powerful flavor and is made with a type of molasses.
- What is the best rum to use for rum balls? You want to use a dark rum for this dessert. Dark Rums are distilled from molasses and have a rich spice to them that give this treat that classic flavor.
- Can you get drunk off of Rum Balls? While Rum Balls do contain ¼ cup of rum, it is combined with other ingredients and divided into many balls so the likelihood of getting drunk off rum balls is very low.
EASY CHRISTMAS CANDY RECIPES
- Serve: Rum Balls can be kept at room temperature, in a cool dry place and sealed in an airtight container.
- Store: Keep your Rum Balls in a sealed container and store in a cool place or fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Freeze: You can freeze this dessert for up to 2 months. Freeze on a baking sheet in a single layer before transferring to a container so they don’t stick together.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 package vanilla wafers , finely crushed (12 ounces)
- 1 cup walnuts , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup rum
- In a large bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and cocoa until blended.
- Add crushed wafers and walnuts; toss to combine.
- In another bowl, mix corn syrup and rum.
- Stir into wafer mixture.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Roll in additional confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, or other coatings.
- Store in an airtight container.