Cake Balls (Cake Truffles) are the PERFECT dessert, made with sweet yellow cake mixed with buttercream frosting and sprinkles then coated in melted white chocolate and topped with extra sprinkles!
Cake Balls (Cake Truffles) are the PERFECT dessert to serve at a party, made with yellow cake mix, Buttercream Frosting, white chocolate, and rainbow sprinkles. You can use different sprinkles for holidays, or crushed candies for decoration.
You can make this recipe with any type of cake, and use my buttercream frosting or cream cheese frosting, which will have a cheesecake flavor. Plus if you bake the cake ahead of time, these only take a total time of 25 minutes to make. This is the perfect recipe to make with the kids for a party or for a birthday!
MORE BITE-SIZE PARTY DESSERTS
HOW DO YOU DIP CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES) PERFECTLY?
Use a fork to dip the truffles into the chocolate, then gently tap the fork to let any excess chocolate drip off. If the chocolate is too thick, add a drop or two of coconut oil to help thin it out. I don’t recommend replacing the melting disks with white chocolate chips because the chips won’t look as smooth as the melting disks will.
Then place the balls on wax paper or parchment paper to keep the chocolate from sticking as it dries.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
TIPS FOR MAKING CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES)
- These cake balls are decorated with rainbow jimmies, but you can also try using some melted dark chocolate, cookie crumbs, funfetti, chopped nuts, or chocolate ganache.
- You can add flavor into the melted chocolate for holidays like almond, peppermint, or vanilla extract.
- This recipe will make about 25 servings, if you want more then you will need a second box of cake mix.
- Yellow cake mix works well for these Cake Balls, but you can use any cake mix that you have, like chocolate cake mix, or red velvet cake mix. You could also make these with leftover cupcakes after baking too many. Or if you’re not in the mood to bake a homemade cake, you can use a store-bought one for this truffle recipe.
- Make this a cake pop recipe by dipping a lollipop stick into melted chocolate, then into the middle of a cake ball before dipping the whole cake ball into the melted chocolate.
- I like to use a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to scoop out the balls, so they’re all the same size.
- These balls will work with almond bark, which has a deeper flavor than white chocolate. You can also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate with this truffle recipe.
- You can melt the chocolate in the microwave, use a double boiler or make a homemade one by placing a large heatproof bowl on top of a pot of hot water on the stove.
- This is the perfect truffle recipe to make so you can wrap in plastic and give away as party gifts!
DECADENT CAKE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CAKE BALLS
- Serve: Cake Balls can stay good at the dinner table for up to 2 hours before you need to refrigerate them.
- Store: The buttercream frosting is dairy based, so you can keep these cake balls in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
- Freeze: It’s not recommended to freeze Cake Balls, as defrosting them will cause condensation and streaking which won’t make them look very good.
- Bake the cake as directed and let cool completely before crumbling and mixing with the frosting and ½ cup of the sprinkles until fully combined.
- Roll into 1 tablespoon sized balls and freeze for 60 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until smooth then dip each ball on top of a fork into the white chocolate, tap to remove the excess then place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Using a small ziplock baggie with some extra melted white chocolate in it, snip off a tiny edge of the bag and zig zag over each truffle then sprinkle more rainbow jimmies on top and allow to harden completely.