Cake Balls (Cake Truffles) are the PERFECT dessert, made with sweet yellow cake mixed with buttercream frosting and sprinkles then coated in melted white chocolate and topped with extra sprinkles!
CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES)
Cake Balls (Cake Truffles) are the PERFECT dessert to serve at a party, made with yellow cake mix, buttercream frosting, white chocolate, and rainbow sprinkles. You can use different sprinkles for holidays, or crushed candies for decoration.
You can make this recipe with any type of cake, and use my buttercream frosting or cream cheese frosting, which will have a cheesecake flavor. Plus if you bake the cake ahead of time, these only take a total time of 25 minutes to make. This is the perfect recipe to make with the kids for a party or for a birthday!
DO CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES) HAVE TO BE REFRIGERATED?
We’re using buttercream frosting, which is dairy based, so I like to keep these cake balls in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. I recommend storing them with a piece of wax paper between each layer so the chocolate doesn’t stick together.
CAN YOU FREEZE CAKE BALLS?
I don’t recommend freezing cake balls. The chocolate coating can form condensation as it defrosts, so they won’t look as good if you’re going to be serving them.
HOW DO YOU DIP CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES) PERFECTLY?
Use a fork to dip the truffles into the chocolate, then gently tap the fork to let any excess chocolate drip off. If the chocolate is too thick, add a drop or two of coconut oil to help thin it out. I don’t recommend replacing the melting disks with white chocolate chips because the chips won’t look as smooth as the melting disks will.
Then place the balls on wax paper or parchment paper to keep the chocolate from sticking as it dries.
MORE CAKE RECIPES
- Easy Vanilla Cake
- Chocolate Cake Roll (Swiss Roll)
- Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Oreo Cake
- Red Velvet Cake
- Easy Chocolate Cake
TIPS FOR MAKING CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES)
- We’re decorating these cake balls with rainbow jimmies, but you can also try using some melted dark chocolate, cookie crumbs, funfetti, chopped nuts, or chocolate ganache.
- You can add flavor into the melted chocolate for holidays like almond, peppermint, or vanilla extract.
- This recipe will make about 25 servings, if you want more then you will need a second box of cake mix.
- I like to make this truffle recipe with yellow cake mix, but you can use any cake mix that you have, like chocolate cake mix, or red velvet cake mix. I’ve also made these with leftover cupcakes after baking too many, too. Or if you’re not in the mood to bake a homemade cake, you can use a store-bought one (I’ve tested and recommend this one) for this truffle recipe.
- Make this a cake pop recipe by dipping a lollipop stick into melted chocolate, then into the middle of a cake ball before dipping the whole cake ball into the melted chocolate.
- I like to use a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to scoop out the balls, so they’re all the same size.
- These balls will work with almond bark, which has a deeper flavor than white chocolate. You can also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate with this truffle recipe.
- You can melt the chocolate in the microwave, use a double boiler or make a homemade one by placing a large heatproof bowl on top of a pot of hot water on the stove.
- This is the perfect truffle recipe to make so you can wrap in plastic and give away as party gifts!
Cake Balls (Cake Truffles)
- Yield: 36 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Bake the cake as directed and let cool completely before crumbling and mixing with the frosting and 1/2 cup of the sprinkles until fully combined.
Roll into 1 tablespoon sized balls and freeze for 60 minutes.
Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until smooth then dip each ball on top of a fork into the white chocolate, tap to remove the excess then place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Using a small ziplock baggie with some extra melted white chocolate in it, snip off a tiny edge of the bag and zig zag over each truffle then sprinkle more rainbow jimmies on top and allow to harden completely.
Yield: 36 servings, Amount per serving: calories
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.