Cake Balls (Cake Truffles) are the PERFECT dessert, made with sweet yellow cake mixed with buttercream frosting and sprinkles then coated in melted white chocolate and topped with extra sprinkles!
Truffles are the perfect easy Dessert choice if you love chocolate and baking, and if you like these cake truffles you’ll also love these Chocolate Truffles, Oreo Balls, and Buckeye Balls!
CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES)
Cake Balls (Cake Truffles) are the PERFECT dessert to serve at a party, made with yellow cake mix, Buttercream Frosting, white chocolate, and rainbow sprinkles. You can use different sprinkles for holidays, or crushed candies for decoration.
You can make this recipe with any type of cake, and use my buttercream frosting or cream cheese frosting, which will have a cheesecake flavor. Plus if you bake the cake ahead of time, these only take a total time of 25 minutes to make. This is the perfect recipe to make with the kids for a party or for a birthday!
MORE BITE-SIZE PARTY DESSERTS
HOW DO YOU DIP CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES) PERFECTLY?
Use a fork to dip the truffles into the chocolate, then gently tap the fork to let any excess chocolate drip off. If the chocolate is too thick, add a drop or two of coconut oil to help thin it out. I don’t recommend replacing the melting disks with white chocolate chips because the chips won’t look as smooth as the melting disks will.
Then place the balls on wax paper or parchment paper to keep the chocolate from sticking as it dries.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
TIPS FOR MAKING CAKE BALLS (CAKE TRUFFLES)
- These cake balls are decorated with rainbow jimmies, but you can also try using some melted dark chocolate, cookie crumbs, funfetti, chopped nuts, or chocolate ganache.
- You can add flavor into the melted chocolate for holidays like almond, peppermint, or vanilla extract.
- This recipe will make about 25 servings, if you want more then you will need a second box of cake mix.
- Yellow cake mix works well for these Cake Balls, but you can use any cake mix that you have, like chocolate cake mix, or red velvet cake mix. You could also make these with leftover cupcakes after baking too many. Or if you’re not in the mood to bake a homemade cake, you can use a store-bought one for this truffle recipe.
- Make this a cake pop recipe by dipping a lollipop stick into melted chocolate, then into the middle of a cake ball before dipping the whole cake ball into the melted chocolate.
- I like to use a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to scoop out the balls, so they’re all the same size.
- These balls will work with almond bark, which has a deeper flavor than white chocolate. You can also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate with this truffle recipe.
- You can melt the chocolate in the microwave, use a double boiler or make a homemade one by placing a large heatproof bowl on top of a pot of hot water on the stove.
- This is the perfect truffle recipe to make so you can wrap in plastic and give away as party gifts!
DECADENT CAKE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CAKE BALLS
- Serve: Cake Balls can stay good at the dinner table for up to 2 hours before you need to refrigerate them.
- Store: The buttercream frosting is dairy based, so you can keep these cake balls in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
- Freeze: It’s not recommended to freeze Cake Balls, as defrosting them will cause condensation and streaking which won’t make them look very good.
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix , (15.25 oz)
- 18 tablespoons Buttercream Frosting , (18 tablespoons is easier measured as 1 cup and 2 tbsp)
- 12 ounces white chocolate melting disks
- 1 cup rainbow jimmies
- Bake the cake as directed and let cool completely before crumbling and mixing with the frosting and ½ cup of the sprinkles until fully combined.
- Roll into 1 tablespoon sized balls and freeze for 60 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until smooth then dip each ball on top of a fork into the white chocolate, tap to remove the excess then place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Using a small ziplock baggie with some extra melted white chocolate in it, snip off a tiny edge of the bag and zig zag over each truffle then sprinkle more rainbow jimmies on top and allow to harden completely.
Loved how easy these truffles were to make using cake mix! They looked so fancy on our dessert table!
These cake balls are awesome and super delicious. Without the fuss of trying to keep them on a stick for cake pops, haha. Great recipe!
This was the perfect recipe for my 10 year old daughter! It is a super simple recipe to follow and did not take long for her to make them at all. Most importantly, they were DELICIOUS!
I love everything about this recipe. These truffles give me life! thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe
Made these for a birthday party the other day and they were super easy to make and turned out so cute! Everyone loved them.
So you said serving size was 25. Is that how many truffles one cake box will make with the 1 tablespoon cookie scoop or is that a couple truffles each? I’m trying to make it for a party and wondering how many I’ll get from one cake box so I have enough ? They sure look yummy!! Thank you for sharing!
When finished and you’re allowing it all to harden, where do you leave them? As in the fridge or a cool worktop as I’ve tried chocolate strawberries before and the chocolate never hardens
Roll into 1 tablespoon sized balls and freeze for 60 minutes.
I mean after you have dipped the balls in the chocolate x
I just leave them on parchment paper in room temperature to harden.
What is the ratio of cake and frosting?
You mix all the cake and frosting together. It’s a full box of mix and 1 cup plus 2 tbsp of frosting. Hope this helps.
These are so cute – perfect party dessert bites and very impressive even though they seem easy to make. On my must-try list! Thanks for the detailed instructions.
You’re welcome! Enjoy!
Yum! What a fabulous treat!! Love how easy and delicious this is!
Thanks for dropping by to let me know! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
These are really perfect treats! My kids won’t be able to stop eating these!
They’re so good! So glad you all enjoyed them!
Woah these pictures are just gorgeous! I cannot stop looking at those! They would be perfect for a kids birthday party or a bridal shower! LOVE
Thanks so much! They’d be perfect for either.
Sabrina, these cake balls look so yum. My kiddo would love these.simple yet colorful. Perfect for any occasion.
These are so easy to make! I made them for my kid’s class party and everyone loved them, thanks!