Sausage Balls made from pork sausage, cheese, and biscuit mix are savory, cheesy, and ready in under 30 minutes! The perfect party appetizer!
Appetizers are almost as important to the holidays as the main dish. You’ll love serving this recipe to your party guests along with Ultimate Spinach Artichoke Dip, Buffalo Chicken Dip, and Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies!
Sausage balls are the PERFECT appetizer to serve at a party because they’re quick and easy to put together, and bake for a total time of 20 minutes. They’re a lot like meatballs by comparison. You can use sweet sausage or hot sausage for this, depending on what you like. You might find the classic breakfast pork sausage and maple pork sausage to be more kid-friendly, because kids are not fans of spicy food.
This recipe is great if you use homemade biscuit mix from Buttermilk Biscuits, but in a pinch you can use Bisquick. Sticking with pork sausage is recommended, because turkey and beef come out more like meatballs than sausage balls. The pork sausage also adds more of a traditional sausage flavor than other meat.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can make this sausage balls recipe ahead of time by mixing all of the ingredients together and forming the balls, then placing them on the baking sheet, covering in plastic wrap, and refrigerating uncooked. Bake within one day for food safety.
You can also bake the balls and freeze them in ziplock bags, then just pull them out when you need to serve a quick appetizer. Be careful not to leave them at room temperature for too long.
Sausage balls are savory and a little bit sweet or spicy (depending on your sausage), so they pair well with creamy dipping sauces like ranch dressing, queso, or honey mustard.
You can also pair them with sweet dips like maple syrup or honey, or savory sauce like marinara. Basically, using anything that goes well with regular Italian sausage.
Sausage balls are the perfect appetizers to freeze and reheat when ready. Just put some parchment paper down on a baking sheet, then bake the balls at 350 degrees F for about 20-30 minutes, or until warmed through.
Plan on making 2-3 sausage balls per person. This is a bite-sized appetizer, so you don’t need to have enough servings for a whole meal. That being said, these are definitely a popular item, so you can always make some extra.
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW TO MAKE BISQUICK AT HOME
Bisquick is a blend of all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and shortening. Whisk together 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ⅓ cup shortening, and 1 teaspoon of salt. You can do this in the food processor to break the shortening up into the flour easier. Use Bisquick cup-for-cup for the biscuit mix in this recipe.
TIPS FOR MAKING SAUSAGE BALLS
- Use an ice cream scoop to help make all of the balls the same size, about 1-2 inch balls, so they cook more evenly in the oven.
- You can use a mix of cream cheese and cheddar cheese if that’s what you have available, or add some grated parmesan cheese for flavor. Cream cheese will add a nice soft texture to the sausage, while cheddar adds that bite of flavor.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to make cleanup easier!
- Bisquick is an easy alternative to the biscuit baking mix in this sausage balls recipe. If you don’t have enough to make Bisquick sausage balls, you can make biscuit baking mix easily with common pantry ingredients.
- Mix your ingredients together using a stand mixer to save time.
- Use any leftover sausage cheese balls to make a sausage and pasta dish for dinner the next day!
HOW TO STORE SAUSAGE BALLS
- Serve: Do not leave cooked meat at room temperature longer than 2 hours before refrigerating.
- Store: Cooked Sausage Balls will keep 3-4 days in the refrigerator, about the same as cooked sausage itself. Any more than that, and you’ll want to freeze them.
- Freeze: Cooked Sausage Balls will keep in the freezer for up to three months. Freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet for one hour, then seal in a Ziploc freezer bag, making sure to squeeze all the air out.
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 2 cups biscuit baking mix
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the sausage with the baking mix well then add in the cheddar and mix well.
- Roll into 2 tablespoon sized balls and place on baking sheet and cook for 20-22 minutes.
Photos used in a previous version of this post.