Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is a set it and forget it five ingredient recipe that is sweet, spicy, and full of garlic and ginger flavors!
Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken takes almost no effort at all and you’ll LOVE the dinner you end up with. The leftover sauce is so good I often add a cornstarch slurry to it and cook it on the stove top to thicken it. Then I add it to everything!
On top of the chicken of course, but also over rice the next day. I actually sometimes will use leftover rice and use this thickened sauce as s mix in for a quick fried rice.
Mongolian Beef is actually one of the most popular recipes on the site, so a chicken version is long overdue! I actually also have a ground mongolian beef recipe coming up, with such an easy set of ingredients all things Mongolian beef are a huge hit in out house.
Some tips/tricks about this Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken:
- I used spices instead of fresh ginger and garlic to mix things up and make this a true pantry recipe. I also found it had better texture in recipe testing as minced ginger tends to get chewy in an unpleasant way in the slow cooker.
- Dark brown sugar adds an extra depth of flavor because of added molasses. If you only have light brown sugar it will work too, but flavors won’t be as deep.
- I always use lite soy sauce to keep the sodium/salty flavor in check. Careful if using regular soy sauce.
- I keep the green onions out of this dish because they got a bit slimy in the slow cooker during testing. If you add them fresh in the last five minutes, I’m sure it would be delicious!
Can I make this Mongolian Chicken in the oven?
Yes, absolutely. Keep the chicken in a smaller baking pan, perhaps an 8×8 or 9×13 pan (if using a few more pieces of chicken) and keep things cozy to keep the liquids around the chicken. Cook at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Can I make this Mongolian Chicken in a skillet?
YES! You may want to use sliced/diced chicken thigh meat and add a bit of canola oil to the pan first. Then brown the chicken on medium high heat for 4-6 minutes on each side and add in the remaining ingredients until caramelized and cooked through.
Want more Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
- Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
Want more Asian Recipes?
- Honey Orange Firecracker Shrimp
- PF Chang’s Orange Peel Chicken
- California Pizza Kitchen’s Kung Pao Chicken Spaghetti
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Panda Express Recipes… every single one in fact: Panda Express Recipes Index
- Many more Chinese food options…
Tools Used in this Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken recipe:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. For larger roasts I also brown the meat in the insert and not lose a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.
Soy Sauce: Nothing much to say here except Kikkoman has the best flavor overall and I always recommend reduced sodium.
- 5 chicken thighs , bone in and skin on
- 1/4 cup lite soy sauce , low sodium
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger , or 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder , or 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- sesame seeds and sliced green onions , for garnish (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients and set the chicken into the slow cooker skin side up.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Garnish with sesame seeds or green onions (optional).