Honey Orange Firecracker Shrimp is sweet, spicy, sticky and crispy and so easy to make you’ll throw your Chinese food takeout menus away!
Honey Orange Firecracker Shrimp was a last minute swap for the Orange Peel Shrimp we were going to make last weekend (based on my P.F. Chang’s Orange Peel Chicken recipe). Instead it turned out I hadn’t bought the tomato sauce for the recipe so I hopped onto AllRecipes to see what quick shrimp dishes I could make.
Lo and behold Honey Orange Firecracker Shrimp. It is so easy to make, the ingredients are all ones I have in stock at all times and it tastes…. AMAZING.
This may actually permanently replace Orange Peel Shrimp in our house!
How to make Honey Orange Firecracker Shrimp:
- Add Sriracha instead of crushed red pepper, the creamy sauce will blend more thoroughly than the chili flakes.
- Add some steamed carrots to the pan, they would go great with the sauce.
- Roast up some vegetables on the side (375 degrees, 2 parts canola oil to 1 part soy sauce until browned).
- You can absolutely use chicken or pork in place of this shrimp.
- If you want a thicker coating dip the shrimp in flour, then egg and finally coat in cornstarch.
Looking for more Asian Food?
- Cheesecake Factory Mandarin Cashew Chicken
- PF Chang’s Orange Peel Chicken
- California Pizza Kitchen’s Kung Pao Chicken Spaghetti
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Easy Mongolian Beef
- Panda Express Recipes… every single one in fact: Panda Express Recipes Index
- Many more Chinese food options…
Tools Used in the Making of this Honey Orange Firecracker Shrimp:
Honey: The best deal on honey you’re going to find online that you know for sure is real honey, only $4 a pound. Or buy it in the store for even less!
Citrus Zester: This zests the rind and removes the peel without the pith in perfect strips too, I LOVE this tool.
Wok: Great for high heat, quick cooking. This wok is a great addition to your kitchen if you love cooking Chinese food or stir fries in general.
Large Frying Pan: I use this Cuisinart for most of my non cast iron cooking unless I am going with a stainless steel option, then I choose my All Clad.
Honey Orange Firecracker Shrimp
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Main
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Add the garlic, soy sauce, honey, orange zest, orange juice and crushed red pepper flakes to a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add the shrimp to the cornstarch and coat well.
- Heat your oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
In batches, cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown and crisp.
- Drain onto a plate (don't use paper towels or it'll steam on the paper towels).
- When you've finished frying the shrimp drain the oil.
- Add the sauce back to the pan and add the shrimp on top.
Toss to combine and cook for 15-20 seconds or until the sauce has thickened (this will not take long, all the cornstarch on the shrimp will thicken it quickly).
- Serve immediately, garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Adapted from AllRecipes
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 491 calories, Calories: 491g, Carbohydrates: 44g, Protein: 31g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 381mg, Sodium: 1265mg, Potassium: 147mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 24g, Vitamin A: 70g, Vitamin C: 12.2g, Calcium: 226g, Iron: 3.5g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.