Sweet and Tangy Pot Roast made in the slow cooker is a cross between sweet and sour flavors with bbq sauce over super tender beef.
Are you a fan of the Ultimate Pot Roast on the site? You’re not alone, it is the most popular recipe on the site. For other tasty, easy to make slow cooker recipes to try out, check out my Slow Cooker Recipes.
CROCKPOT SWEET AND TANGY POT ROAST
Tangy and Sweet Pot Roast has always been a yummy comfort food, and there’s no question why. It’s filling, hearty, and feeds a lot of people, plus the recipe is great for your first time using a slow cooker. It absolutely lives up to its name, and is a meal you can set up in the crock pot in the morning and come home to a perfectly cooked meal at night.
The prep time is next to nothing, and once the roast has cooked for about 8 hours all you have to do is thicken up the gravy and turn the temperature from low to high. Once it’s tender, moist, and full of rich flavor, it’s ready to slice up and serve with a side of creamy Mashed Potatoes and a side of Homemade Dinner Rolls for the best meal ever.
This particular pot roast recipe makes a tender, moist cut of meat that you can pair with pretty much anything but is far from bland or ordinary. The sauce the flavorful pot roast sits in for 8 hours gives it an extremely unique, delicious taste that is hard to top. If you’re looking for another show stopper to serve at your next bbq, potluck, or party then you should try this Sweet and Tangy Pot Roast recipe
MORE POT ROAST RECIPES:
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT SWEET AND TANGY POT ROAST:
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable oil to dutch oven on medium high heat.
- Sear beef on both sides until well browned, about 4-6 minutes on each side.
- In your slow cooker, whisk together the condensed french onion soup, ketchup, water, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.
- Add the meat to the slow cooker and coat well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Whisk water and cornstarch together then add to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes until sauce thickens.
VARIATIONS ON SWEET AND TANGY POT ROAST
- Add ins: Try adding a little bit of brown sugar to the roast to help tenderize and sweeten it inside the slow cooker. Don’t add too much or you can overpower the flavors and make it sickly sweet.
- Veggies: Throw some chopped baby carrots, root veggies, sliced potatoes, and sliced celery into the slow cooker with the Sweet and Tangy Pot Roast and you’ll have a side dish to go with the pot roast. Mix them into the gravy until everything is well coated and pour them in with the roast.
SWEET AND TANGY POT ROAST FAQS
- What kind of meat is pot roast? There are a few different kinds of meat that make up pot roasts. One of the must common is a chuck roast, which tends to have a much tougher texture to it than other cuts. That toughness makes it perfect for long, slow cooking in a crock pot, since it will tenderize without completely disintegrating over time.
- Do not use cuts like eye of round or any other cut where you don’t see a good marbling of fat throughout the cut of meat. That fat is very important to the meat being tender once it is done cooking.
- For food safety reasons do not sear your meat the night before cooking. Be sure to sear it at the same time you intend to fully cook the recipe.
MORE DELICIOUS CHUCK ROAST RECIPES:
HOW LONG IS CROCKPOT SWEET AND TANGY POT ROAST GOOD?
- Serve: Don’t leave your Sweet and Tangy Pot Roast out at room temperature for longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Make sure to seal the pot roast into an airtight container that completely seals out moisture, and it will stay good for up to 3 days before you need to use it up or get rid of it.
- Freeze: You can freeze cooked Sweet ‘n’ Tangy Pot Roast for up to 3 months. Just make sure to keep it in a sealable container to prevent moisture from getting in.
Important Note: You need to always allow the pot roast to cool down to room temperature before you seal it up and put it away to keep bacteria from getting shut in with it.
WHEN IS SWEET AND TANGY POT ROAST SAFE TO EAT?
According to the USDA’s Official Website, beef is cooked through and safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (62.7 degrees C.)
Sweet and Tangy Pot Roast
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 8 hours 40 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Season chuck roast with salt and pepper.
Add vegetable oil to dutch oven on medium high heat.
Sear beef on both sides until well browned, about 4-6 minutes on each side.
In your slow cooker, whisk together the condensed french onion soup, ketchup, water, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.
Add the meat to the slow cooker and coat well.
Cook on low for 8 hours.
Whisk water and cornstarch together then add to the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 30 minutes until sauce thickens before serving.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 369 calories, Calories: 369g, Carbohydrates: 13g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 117mg, Sodium: 579mg, Potassium: 674mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 176g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 34g, Iron: 4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.