Souplantation Cornbread (Copycat) is buttery cornbread muffins with whole kernels throughout just like the original. Perfect to serve with soup or chili!
Classic Cornbread is the perfect Side Dish to serve along with your favorite Soup Recipes and other comfort food dishes. This recipe makes the perfect Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins that taste just like they used to make at the Souplantation.
SOUPLANTATION CORNBREAD (COPYCAT)
This moist Cornbread Recipe is made with sweet corn kernels, buttermilk, sugar, creamed corn, and other filling ingredients. It’s the perfect Sweet Cornbread with a crunchy crust, and buttery tender crumbs throughout. The buttery corn muffins are a spot-on copycat of Souplantation’s recipe. Perfect to dip into Classic Beef Chili for the ultimate comforting dinner.
One of the best dishes at Souplantation was their delicious Corn Muffin recipe. Unfortunately, Souplantation is gone now, so you can’t get the tasty cornbread right from the source. We’ve really missed the recipe and thought we’d post this one so we can all still enjoy Souplantation Cornbread Muffins from our own kitchen. The good news is the Cornbread recipe was shared by Souplantation in 2007, so this recipe is absolutely authentic!
Unlike skillet cornbread or cornbread made in a baking dish, this recipe is made in muffin cups. With the Corn Muffin recipe, there’s no need to cut the cornbread into squares, and you’ll have less of a crumbly mess. Making Cornbread in muffin tins is especially great for easy storage if you want to freeze them for later.
You can cut the Cornbread Muffins in half and add some whipped honey butter, regular butter, or even vegan butter to the center while they’re still warm. The Cornbread Muffins will taste even more moist and rich with melted butter on the inside. You can enjoy them with dinner or as a snack on their own.
MORE HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING SOUPLANTATION CORNBREAD (COPYCAT)
- Prep time: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then spray your muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray, you could also use a square baking cup pan to make Buttermilk Cornbread squares. If you don’t have cooking spray, you can also line the muffin cups with muffin liners.
- Wet mixture: Add the milk, buttermilk, sweet corn kernels, creamed corn, sugar, oil, egg, and cornmeal to a mixing bowl and whisk together. Continue mixing until the ingredients are mostly smooth.
- Dry mixture: In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Once the dry ingredients are combined pour in the wet ingredients. Whisk the Cornbread batter together until just combined without over mixing.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then pop the cornbread recipe in the preheated oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the edges are nicely golden brown.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SOUPLANTATION CORNBREAD (COPYCAT)
- Flour: Instead of all-purpose flour you can use wheat flour, oat flour, white rice flour, or corn flour to go along with the cornmeal in the dry ingredients.
- Cheese: You can sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the Cornbread right before serving. Apart from cheddar cheese, you can use mozzarella, fresh pecorino, queso fresco, Swiss, or Pepper Jack cheese. Put the cheese on top while the Cornbread is still hot so it has time to melt.
- Sweetener: Instead of regular granulated sugar you can use brown sugar, coconut sugar, or maple syrup.
- Add-ins ideas: For some delicious add-ins try mixing in some chopped green chiles, red onion, green onion, or jalapeno peppers. You could also mix in some bacon bits or ground beef.
- Vegan Cornbread Muffin: To make Vegan Cornbread Muffins, you’ll need to replace the milk with almond milk, oat milk, or any other dairy-free replacement. You should also replace the soy milk with dairy-free milk and lemon juice mixture. Use 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 scant cup of milk. You also need to make eggless cornbread. You can replace the egg with applesauce, melted vegan butter, or mashed banana.
You can use Souplantation Cornbread in an easy Cornbread Salad. It makes a great side dish for a potluck or family get-together. Here’s an easy Cornbread Salad Recipe.
Combine 1 packet ranch dressing mix, 1 cup mayo, and ½ cup milk. Mix well and refrigerate.
Cut cornbread into 1-inch cubes and place in the bottom of a large bowl or trifle bowl.
Top cornbread layer with 1 can rinsed pinto beans.
Next, layer 1 can drained corn.
Top with 1 small chopped green bell pepper.
Add chopped sweet onion.
Next, add 2 chopped tomatoes.
Add 2 cups shredded cheddar.
Pour ranch dressing mixture on top; refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving the Cornbread Salad.
RECIPES TO SERVE SOUPLANTATION CORNBREAD WITH
HOW TO STORE SOUPLANTATION CORNBREAD (COPYCAT)
- Serve: If you have any more Cornbread, you can keep it in the pantry. Once they’ve cooled, wrap leftovers in tin foil or plastic wrap to keep in the pantry for 1-2 days.
- Store: You can also cover the Copycat Cornbread or put it in an airtight container to store in the fridge for 1 week.
- Freeze: Put the Souplantation Cornbread in a freezer-safe airtight container to store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup creamed corn
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/8 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray two 12-cup muffin tins or square baking cup pan (for more authentic cornbread squares).
- To a large mixing bowl add milk, buttermilk, corn, creamed corn, sugar, oil, egg, and cornmeal and whisk well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, then add to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Add to muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes.