Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soup is the perfect recipe after your holiday ham when you want a cozy warm soup to help you recover from holiday cooking!
Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soup is the second Slow Cooker Ham soup on the blog because A: we love slow cookers and 2: we love ham (the kids think of ham as bacon steaks so with that description how could you not be obsessed with it?
This post like the previous ham post is generously sponsored by Smithfield and since you all LOVED the original Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup (seriously it is only a couple of months old and has over 200 THOUSAND re-pins on Pinterest!) I thought this soup would be the perfect addition to the blog. For Thanksgiving each year we make a classic turkey and a spiral sliced ham to serve the large crowd of people. I can’t help it, when I see the holiday table it needs to be overflowing with food and with multiple proteins we are already off to a great start.
For the ham we always use Smithfield Spiral Sliced Smoked Ham with Signature Glaze because the glaze is awesome even if I want to add a couple of extra ingredients to the mix (hello last year and the giant pineapple chunks we all fought over!). I also love it because it is such a quick addition to the menu, most often there is only a few minutes of prep and just a half an hour in the oven since the ham is already fully cooked. Plus there are a variety of flavors (including Pecan Praline, Salted Caramel, Brown Sugar) you can choose from too, so less sauce making on the side! I do take the extra step of browning my ham bone for this Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soup (you can see the browning in the first picture. That extra step adds a ton of flavor and amplifies that vegetable stock to make a totally flavorful broth.
You technically don’t have to take that step, but with slow cookers any time you can brown the meat before hand, the more depth of flavor you’ll have in your final dish.
- 1 Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham, the leftover bone and 3 cups of diced ham
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1½ cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cans white cannelini beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce cans)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a pot or if your slow cooker like mine has an insert you can brown in, brown the ham bone on high until the sides are caramelized (3-4 minutes on each side).
- Add the bone, chopped ham, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, cannelini beans, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, vegetable stock, salt and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the ham bone and discard.
- Serve with parsley, optional as a garnish