Applesauce BBQ Chicken is cooked quickly and glazed in a sweet and mildly spicy sauce with applesauce, bbq sauce, brown sugar, and hot sauce.
APPLESAUCE BBQ CHICKEN
This ultra-easy recipe will quickly become a family favorite. The basic dish is prepared with the easiest cooking directions by just searing the chicken thighs on the stovetop. We’ve also included the slow cooker meal version later in this post. Then, the recipe gets the most amazing flavors from the unexpected and delicious apple-spiced barbecue sauce.
The sweet, tangy, and spicy flavor in the sauce is made with a few key ingredients. All you need is brown sugar, Barbecue Sauce, hot sauce, and applesauce. The idea of mixing applesauce into a classic bbq chicken dish might sound strange at first, but the smooth applesauce brings a comforting, sweet, and mild taste that perfectly balances the more bold flavors in the sauce.
This chicken recipe tastes amazing as the main course for your dinner, however, if you have leftovers the chicken pieces also make a great lunch. Toast your favorite bread and serve the chicken up in delicious chicken sandwiches. Add your favorite sandwich fillings like lettuce, tomato, cheese, or bacon for some fresh flavor. You could also serve up the chicken in small Dinner Rolls for adorable applesauce chicken sliders.
MORE CHICKEN DISHES
- Prep: If the chicken is frozen take it out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge a day in advance. Season the thawed chicken with pepper and salt to start.
- Sear: Add the vegetable oil to a large skillet. Shift the pan from side to side until the oil coats the bottom, and raise the stovetop to medium-high heat. Brown chicken in oil for about 7-8 minutes on each side. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of your skillet, but it’s easiest to use a large skillet and cook it all at once.
- Sauce: Mix together the applesauce, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and hot sauce in a separate bowl. Then pour the sauce mixture over the chicken, and let it all simmer together until the sauce is thickened. Remove the chicken from skillet and serve with sauce.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Heat level: You can make some small changes to the recipe depending on how spicy you want the sauce to be. For more heat, add in a little chili powder along with the hot sauce. However, if you want a more mild sauce, you can decrease the amount of hot sauce according to your taste.
- Chunky apple sauce: If you want some extra texture and apple flavor in the recipe, you can use chunky applesauce instead of smooth. For even more fresh flavor slice an apple into small chunks and mix it with the sauce before cooking the sauce.
- Flavor add-ins: There are plenty of ways you can experiment with the flavor in the sauce. Try mixing in fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon garlic powder, paprika, or a little apple cider vinegar.
SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN
- To make crock pot BBQ Chicken, start by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then place the chicken thighs in the base of the slow cooker.
- Increase the BBQ Sauce and applesauce to 2/3 of a cup so that there is more liquid for the chicken to cook in. Whisk together the sauce ingredients and pour them over the chicken.
- Turn the slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and serve the slow cooker recipe.
EASY SIDE DISH RECIPES TO SERVE WITH APPLESAUCE BBQ CHICKEN
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: Don’t leave cooked chicken at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: After the meat has cooled down, you can transfer it to an airtight container to store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Make sure the chicken is completely cooled before you seal it in a gallon-size Ziploc bag or another freezer-safe container. The recipe will stay good frozen for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- 6 chicken thighs , bone-in, and skin on
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco hot sauce , or another hot sauce
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken well on both sides until cooked through, about 7-8 minutes on each side.
- Mix together the applesauce, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and hot sauce.
- Pour mixture over the chicken, let simmer and thicken.
- Spoon over to glaze the chicken.