Salt and Vinegar Chicken is a perfectly crispy oven-baked dinner with the flavor of your favorite salt and vinegar potato chips. Cooked in just 40 minutes!
CRISPY SALT AND VINEGAR CHICKEN
These delicious, crispy chicken thighs are marinated in vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper so they absorb all the salty, tangy flavor you’d get from salt and vinegar chips. Except in this case it’s baked into chicken, so unlike a bag of chips it can be considered dinner!
Even though the chicken is baked in the oven, the skin comes out just as flavorful and crisp as if you’d fried the chicken. Plus, you get all that taste without any breading. This gluten free baked chicken recipe is essentially a healthier take on fried chicken wings, and it’s perfect to serve for dinner with simple sides like Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes.
HOW TO MAKE SALT AND VINEGAR CHICKEN
- Marinade: Add the chicken thighs, vegetable oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to a bowl and cover it. Leave the chicken to marinate for at least 4 hours. For the most flavorful results let it marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Cook: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Once the oven is ready add the chicken in a single layer to your baking sheet. Make sure to put the chicken in skin-side up. This will help make sure the skin gets nice and crisp in the oven. Bake the chicken for 40-45 minutes.
MORE EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
This great recipe is even better with an easy sauce to dip your chicken in. You can use your favorite store bought dipping sauce or make your own. Here’s an easy recipe for a homemade vinegar sauce.
- Combine 1/2 cup plain yogurt (you can also exchange this for sour cream), 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Once you’ve whisked the ingredients together, fold in 1/4 cup of goat cheese, blue cheese, or feta cheese depending on your preference.
- Store the dipping sauce in the fridge until ready to serve with the chicken.
VARIATIONS ON SALT AND VINEGAR CHICKEN
- Baked Chicken Wings: If you’d prefer Vinegar Wings you can use the same basic recipe to bake chicken wings, instead of thighs. To make Vinegar Chicken Wings marinate the wings in salt and vinegar as usual, but only use half of the marinade recipe for this part. After the chicken wings have been marinated toss them in baking powder before putting them on a baking dish and cooking them. After baking, toss the chicken wings in the remaining vinegar and salt marinade before serving Vinegar Chicken Wings. These easy vinegar wings make a great game day appetizer.
- Marinade: You can slightly alter the flavor of this dish depending on what kind of vinegar you use. Try white vinegar, malt vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar. You could also add other ingredients to your marinade like chicken broth or BBQ sauce.
- Seasoning: For even more flavor in your Vinegar Chicken dish try adding some extra seasoning. Toss some garlic powder, parsley, or finely chopped shallots in with the vinegar sauce. You could also sprinkle some sea salt over the top of the chicken once it’s on the baking sheet. If you want to add some sweet seasoning to the salty flavors, try adding a little bit of brown sugar over the top before baking.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SALT AND VINEGAR CHICKEN
HOW TO STORE SALT AND VINEGAR CHICKEN
- Serve: After baking, don’t leave this chicken recipe at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the dish has cooled, put it in a freezer bag or airtight container in the fridge. It will keep well for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can keep this recipe for up to 6 months in the freezer. The next time you’re ready to eat them let the the Vinegar Chicken defrost in the fridge before reheating it.
Salt and Vinegar Chicken
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 40 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 8 chicken thighs , skin-on and bone-in
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Add chicken, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper to a large bowl and cover.
Marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add chicken, skin side up to a baking dish.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked through.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 382 calories, Calories: 382g, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 23g, Fat: 31g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 142mg, Sodium: 985mg, Potassium: 318mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 113g, Calcium: 14g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.