The BEST EVER Banana Cream Pie with no pre-made mixes and still only a handful of ingredients. The perfect, easy, creamy pie!
Banana Cream Pie
Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie, this is deserving of being the first dessert I’ve posted in a long time because it happens to be one of my favorite desserts of all time.
This banana cream pie is made with pudding, but not pudding from a box. This is homemade pudding with a creamy homemade custard. And it’s the perfect holiday pie (while VERY popular as an Easter Pie, this pie is also popular during Christmas as well.
How to make a homemade pudding:
- Add the milk, sugar, flour, and salt to a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture has cooked for a while you have to temper in the egg yolks before adding them to the milk mixture.
- Set the saucepan back on the stove on medium heat again and whisk until totally smooth and thickened to a pudding consistency.
- Most importantly make sure that the mixture has thickened enough before adding to containers and chilling completely before serving.
Like this recipe? Then Like us on Facebook!
Tips for making the BEST Banana Cream Pie:
- Do not cut the bananas too early, you don’t want them to brown before serving.
- Make sure you cook your pudding enough to thicken it before cooling. Don’t wait for the cooling to help it thicken.
- Make a homemade whipped cream, the flavors are amazing. If you want something at room temperature make Homemade Cool Whip which can maintain structure at room temperature.
Choosing a Banana Cream Pie Crust:
This banana cream pie used a pastry pie crust but many variations of crusts are used as well:
- Banana cream pie with vanilla wafers: Use 60 wafers and 6 tablespoons of melted butter mixed together, pressed into a pie dish and baked at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Banana cream pie graham cracker crust: Use 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup sugar and 6 tablespoons melted butter mixed together, pressed into a pie dish and baked at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
How do you store Banana Cream Pie before serving?
Be careful with how you store your pie because the layer of the whipped cream cannot be covered with plastic wrap. You can also store the pie with plastic wrapped pressed against the pudding layer and only top with whipped cream when you’re about to serve the dish.
How to Serve Banana Cream Pie?
Serve slices of banana cream pie with slices of freshly sliced banana, shaved chocolate if desired and of course the fresh whipped cream layer.
How long can you keep Banana Cream Pie?
You can keep Banana Cream Pie in the fridge, covered loosely for 3-4 days. Do not top with banana slices until just before serving.
Banana Cream Pie
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the pie crust for 30 minutes then remove to cool
Add the milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt to a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly.
Keep stirring and cook for another 5-6 minutes before removing from the heat.
Using a 1/4 cup of the milk mixture which you've cooled in the fridge for two minutes, add the egg yolks to it and whisk to combine before adding it back into the rest of the milk mixture.
Set the saucepan back on the stove on medium heat again and whisk for an additional 3-4 minutes until it's totally smooth and thickened to a pudding consistency.
Remove from the heat and add in the butter and vanilla whisking well.
Add the banana slices to the bottom of the pie shell, cover with the pudding and press saran wrap onto the pie gently to avoid a skin from forming on top.
Cool the pie completely in the fridge (3-4 hours) before topping with whipped cream and additional banana slices. To make the whipped cream add the powdered sugar to the heavy cream and beat until it forms medium peaks, about 1-2 minutes with a hand mixer.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 543 calories, Calories: 543g, Carbohydrates: 48g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 36g, Saturated Fat: 19g, Cholesterol: 164mg, Sodium: 250mg, Potassium: 369mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 24g, Vitamin A: 23.8g, Vitamin C: 6.7g, Calcium: 12.4g, Iron: 5.4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert, Inc.