Chocolate Cream Pie is a chocolate lover’s dream come true with a thick, creamy chocolate filling and classic, buttery, flaky pie crust.
Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie is the perfect recipe to add to any dessert table. It is easy to make, keeps nicely in the fridge, and it’s a real crowd-pleaser. If you love this Pie Recipe, be sure to try our Cookie Dough Pie for another creamy, chocolate cream pie.
CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
Chocolate Pie is made with a creamy custard filling that’s sure to make it a favorite with any chocolate lovers! The chocolate custard gets its rich chocolate flavor from simple cocoa powder. Then it’s topped off with chocolate shavings for a beautiful look and more sweet chocolate.
This is one of those simple dessert recipes that you’ll find yourself making over and over again. The Chocolate Cream Pie recipe only takes a few minutes of hands-on work and the instructions are easy to follow. Still, the pie comes out looking beautiful and tasting unbelievably decadent. It’s sure to be a new favorite pie, but it’s also one of the easiest to make.
MORE CREAM PIE RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
- Prep time: Start the Chocolate Cream Pie recipe by preheating the oven. Then line your pie dish with a pre-made traditional pie crust.
- Pie crust: Line the crust with parchment paper and add pie weights, or beans if you don’t have them, to your pie plate. The weights will hold the crust in place and stop it from bubbling. Bake the crust for 18-20 minutes until you have a nice, flaky, golden brown pie crust. Let the crust cool while you continue the rest of the recipe.
- Chocolate mixture: Add egg yolks, sugar, milk, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt to a mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together and then pour them into a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the mixture continuously. After the mixture comes to a boil, continue cooking for another 30 seconds. Turn off the heat, then add the butter and vanilla. Let the filling cool for 10 minutes.
- Assemble: Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie crust, using a rubber spatula to get all the chocolate filling into the pie crust. Put the pie in the refrigerator and let it cool before slicing and serving. Top with Whipped Cream and chocolate shavings for garnish.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
- Graham Cracker Crust: Instead of using a store bought pie crust recipe you can make a Homemade Pie Crust with graham crackers. Add the graham crackers to a food processor and break them into crumbs. Then mix that with melted butter and sugar. You can use the same crust recipe with vanilla wafers, chocolate wafers, or Oreos to make a crust.
- Chocolate Chips: For some extra chocolate flavor, sprinkle chocolate chips or chocolate shavings right over the chocolate filling. You can use regular or mini chocolate chips in the recipe. Semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate chips would all taste great in this recipe. You could also try melting chocolate chips and drizzling melted chocolate over the top.
- Berries: For some sweet fruit to go with the rich chocolate flavor, line fresh raspberries over the surface of the pie before serving.
- Espresso powder: Adding a bit of coffee flavoring to your dessert is the perfect way to play up the sweet notes in the chocolate. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of espresso powder into the cream pie filling.
MORE CHOCOLATE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
- Serve: Don’t leave Chocolate Cream Pie at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Cover the pie in tin foil or plastic wrap to store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Let the pie chill in the fridge, then cover it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then put it in a freezer bag. It will stay good in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a pie plate with your pie crust.
- Line with parchment paper and add beans or pie weights to hold crust in place.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks, sugar, milk, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add mixture to a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Whisk well until it comes to a boil, then cook for 30 seconds, stirring the whole time.
- Turn off heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Let filling cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate to serve if desired.