Banana Split Ice Cream Burger with homemade Klondike bar patty, banana cupcake bun, pineapple “cheese” and strawberry “ketchup.” A showstopper.
A Banana Split Ice Cream Burger so amazing, you just sort of stare at it in amazement. My version of my friend Tashbih’s Ice Cream Burger is a whole new set of flavors inspired by a banana split. Banana Cake “buns” glazed with Salted Caramel Sauce, topped with crushed peanut “sesame seeds” and filled with strawberry sauce “ketchup.” Inside the burger? A slice of pineapple “cheese” and a Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Klondike bar “patty” dipped in homemade magic shell. Chocolate, strawberry, white chocolate, banana, strawberry, pineapple, peanuts and caramel sauce…sounds like an amazing banana split to me!
These Banana Split Ice Cream Burgers were originally published on July 2nd 2015. So why is it making a reappearance today? Well #1, it is on Buzzfeed! yay! Secondly, I’ve learned a whooooole lot about how to edit photos. I was super contrast happy with the original set. And now that we are coming up to ice cream season (ok ok, ice cream is always in season) I felt it was time for one of my favorite posts to make a comeback. Also… it’s a banana split that looks like a burger… April Fools? ? Eh, kinda funny?
Here is the long and short of it. I came across a picture on foodgawker of a Caramel Ice Cream Burger. I stopped in my tracks and emailed the delightfully sweet blogger Tasbih about her fabulous recipe! It was so inspiring I HAD to make my own version. The thing is though, it isn’t like when you see a good brownie recipe and you recreate it and post it on your blog with a link back. This recipe was so unique and special, I wanted to be sure Tasbih knew I wanted to recreate it as a Banana Split Ice Cream Burger. A nod to the gorgeous dessert she had made. Fast friends I tell you.
I will admit there are quite a few steps here. This isn’t a toss it together dessert like my Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookie Pie, Flourless Chocolate Cake or Cinnamon Roll Cake. There are five recipes that go into this dessert but if you break it and make each recipe individually, they are all quite easy to make. Just commit yourself to the fact that at the end of the delicious rainbow you will have an amazing dessert that will be a real showstopper for your friends and family.
Let’s start with the “buns” made of Banana Cake, they are made and baked into a special half sphere mold.
Banana Split Ice Cream Burger anyone?
Banana Split Ice Cream Burger
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Dinner, then Dessert
- Banana Cake
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- 8 ounces Strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 Pineapple
- Chocolate Dipped Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Bar
- 2 ounces White Chocolate
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Cut the strawberries into small chunks.
Combine the strawberries with the water and sugar in a saucepan and cook on low for 15 minutes or until a pourable but thick consistency.
- Let cool completely.
- The "buns" are made of Banana Cake, they are made and baked into a special half sphere mold. The bottom half of the buns are baked in a regular 1/4 sheet pan and cut out with a biscuit cutter.
- After the cakes have cooled, slice off the tops of the buns.
- Scoop out the insides to make a large well.
- Melt the white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments then stir until melted and smooth.
- Brush the insides with a little melted white chocolate and let it set.
- Once set, fill each one with some strawberry sauce.
- Cover them with the top of the bun and use Salted Caramel Sauce recipe to glaze both the tops and bottoms of the buns.
- Top the buns with some very finely crushed peanut "sesame seeds."
- The patty is simply the Dark Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Bars.
- Using a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter, cut out a slice of pineapple.
- The uniformity in size make this dessert look perfectly proportioned.
- To assemble, put the bottom half of the bun on the plate, then the Dark Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Bar, the slice of pineapple and the top half of the bun.
Enthusiastically adapted from Cleobuttera's Amazing Caramel Ice Cream Burger
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 116 calories, Calories: 116g, Carbohydrates: 22g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 11mg, Potassium: 167mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 18g, Vitamin A: 45g, Vitamin C: 58.2g, Calcium: 35g, Iron: 0.4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.
Banana Split Ice Cream Burger overwhelming? I would be too. I made this recipe in steps. One day was the Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Bar, one day the Salted Caramel Sauce, etc.. It made the day of the dinner party a total breeze, I just cut the pineapple slices and assembled the pieces quickly. The reaction was overwhelming and it made for an incredible end to the party.