Black Bottom Cupcakes have a rich chocolatey base with a chocolate chip cream cheese filling. It’s the perfect chocolate cupcake with a delicious twist!
When it comes to classic Dessert Recipes, it’s hard to think of anything better than a simple Chocolate Cake. This recipe has the taste of your favorite moist, chocolate cake, plus rich cream cheese all baked into a fun cupcake!
BLACK BOTTOM CUPCAKES
Black Bottom Cupcakes are so named because of the deep dark chocolate cupcake base. The chocolate and cream cheese filling make it exceptionally moist. It just might be the closest thing to perfection you can bake. That may sound over the top, but give them a try and you’ll see! The dark chocolate cake makes them a dream come true for any chocoholics out there.
Black Bottom Cupcakes are great to make for parties, family get-togethers or birthdays. If you’re making them for a birthday party add some Cream Cheese Frosting, festive sprinkles and enjoy a next level cupcake. Adding frosting to the top not only makes them more celebratory, but it also hides the cream cheese filling so that will be a wonderful surprise for everyone when they bite into the cupcakes.
TIPS FOR MAKING BLACK BOTTOM CUPCAKES
- Prep: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Chocolate Cake: Whisk together the milk, sugar, oil, egg yolk, white vinegar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, slowly sift together the flour, dark cocoa powder, and baking soda. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until combined. They should come together easily and there’s no need to over-mix. Scoop the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin. Only fill each cup about halfway, so there’s room for the filling.
- Cream Cheese Filling: In a large bowl mix the cream cheese, egg white, and sugar. Be careful not to over-mix and make sure you leave the cream cheese out long enough to get it to room temperature so it will mix in nicely. Microwaving the cream cheese won’t work. Once you have a smooth cream cheese mixture add in the mini chocolate chips and stir them throughout. Add about a tablespoon to the top of each chocolate cupcake.
- Bake: Put the pan in the oven and bake the cupcakes for 22-25 minutes. You’ll know the Black Bottom Cupcakes are done when you insert a toothpick in the center of one and it comes out clean. Let them cool before serving.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BLACK BOTTOM CUPCAKES
- Vanilla Cupcake: To change up the flavor of the cupcakes you can use the same cream cheese filling with a vanilla cupcake base. Try mixing a Classic Vanilla Cake Batter then top it with a tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and bake until slightly golden.
- Chocolate Chips: You can exchange the miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips in the cream cheese mixture with milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips. Another option is using other mix-ins like peppermint chips, mini M&M’s, or pieces of other candy bars.
- Mini Cupcakes: To make your Black Bottom Cupcakes more portable and less messy, you can make mini cupcakes. Since they can be eaten in a bite or two you won’t end up with nearly as many chocolate crumbs, even if you have exceptionally messy eaters in your house.
MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BLACK BOTTOM CUPCAKES
- Serve: You can keep Black Bottom Cupcakes at room temperature for up to 2 days. Make sure to store them in a ziplock bag or other airtight container to make sure they stay moist.
- Store: Once they’ve cooled, you can store the cupcakes in an airtight container and put them in the fridge. They’ll stay good for up to a week.
- Freeze: To make these cupcakes ahead and store them, first flash freeze them for an hour while they’re still in the muffin tin. Once they’re frozen solid you can put them in a freezer bag and keep them for up to 6 months. Let them defrost in the fridge and eat them cool or reheat them for a few minutes in the oven before serving.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk , (use the white in the cream cheese portion)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Chocolate Filling
- 6 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together milk, sugar, oil, egg yolk, white vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Sift together flour, dark cocoa powder, and baking soda then add to the wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Scoop batter into muffin liners (about half full).
- Whisk together cream cheese, egg white, and sugar until smooth (do not overmix and be sure the cream cheese is room temperature - but do not microwave).
- Stir in the chocolate chips into the cream cheese mixture.
- Add a dollop to each muffin tin (about 1 tablespoon).
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.